Rims Tube Element Size/Bending

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyjhuebs

Naked Gnome Brew Co
Reaction score
I just received my new stainless 240v element for my RIMS tube but I'm struggling with making it fit. I haven't had this big of an issue in the past but half the time I used an element that wasn't ULWD.

My tube is 1" inner diameter at 1.30" outer diameter. Am I struggling too much because I should be using a bigger tube? The element touches a lot on the inner walls.

Smallest RIMS tube I've seen uses the 1.5" tube/hardware. I'd do either that, or go to a 2" tube setup. 2" if you're using the wavy element so that you have enough room for it (and some wort flow around it). Hopefully it won't touch the walls. :eek:

This is what it looks like. I've had success in the past but this just doesn't seem to want to work.

Attachments

• 163165519560714497744369938370.jpg
    163165519560714497744369938370.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
If it was me, I'd just go with the 1.5" TC tubing and be done with it. I'm done with threads in my brewing system. I have one item that's not TC native and I'm working towards correcting that. TC fittings are far more sanitary and easier to take apart and clean.

This is what it looks like. I've had success in the past but this just doesn't seem to want to work.
I don't think that element can be made to work (well) in that tube. The tube is too small a diameter, and the element is too long for the tube (unless you have something that will add length.)

Brew on :mug:

With the other T fitting on, the length is perfect. The width just doesn't appear to be working for me.

With the other T fitting on, the length is perfect. The width just doesn't appear to be working for me.
With the other "T" fitting, will any of the heated length of the element be outside of the main flow pattern thru the tube? If so, that could lead to wort scorching problems.

No, it has 2 inches on top before it reaches the discharge port. And about an inch before the thermocouple. I run high flow through it with no issues

WUT happens when element touches tubewall?
Nothing electrically, unless the element is physically compromised.

It can create dead spots in the wort flow pattern, that may lead to deposits building up on the element (which could eventually scorch), cleaning issues, etc.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was looking at and I definitely don't want a burn out. I may just forego the elements and go with a cartridge heater that I can dial down to prevent potential issues. Prevents spending my fermenter upgrade money on a new RIMS tube.

WUT happens when element touches tubewall?

Potentially bad things. Certainly nothing good.

Under normal operation the heat from element gets carried out of the tube by the wort moving through the tube. The heat is transferred to the heat sink that you mash represents.

The direct connection of element to tube wall creates a heat / temperature "short circuit." You will create a hot spot at the point of contact and you will heat up the tubewall.

Many variables in play. How much heat is taken away from raising the temp of your wort and goes into heating the tube wall? Hard to say. What will you temp probe see? Lower wort temp, so it raises the temp of the heating element, which goes towards heating up the tube wall. Maybe.

So what ever you do not allow the element to touch the tube wall. That is not the design and intended use.

Back