RIMS system, element in tun below false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hightechlofi

Reaction score
Just thinking about my next build. Instead of an external rims tube, could I have an element below a false bottom and control temps that way? If so, I could do a single vessel biab type system then use the same element for the boils. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Just thinking about my next build. Instead of an external rims tube, could I have an element below a false bottom and control temps that way? If so, I could do a single vessel biab type system then use the same element for the boils. Any thoughts?

Sounds almost just like a recirculating e-BIAB system which has been done by numerous brewers already (and is on my to do list.)

Brew on :mug:

the only thing I would want to address is a way the recirculate the wort through the bag of grain somehow ... it would still work without this but I would question efficiency.

the only thing I would want to address is a way the recirculate the wort through the bag of grain somehow ... it would still work without this but I would question efficiency.

My initial plan is to use a submerged, tangential flow wort return. This should keep the grain bed stirred up. I got ~85% mash efficiency yesterday without any recirc in my current BIAB set up. Only stirred once at end of mash. I don't think recirc is necessary for good efficiency. I want it to be able to keep uniform temps when doing step mashes.

Brew on :mug:

And here I thought I was being clever... Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know what to search for, but I will check out the other builds!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Definitely tried it and it works but you have to be careful to keep the bag off the element because it can create air pockets and pop and scorch the element. Did that a few times way back when.

Back