RIMS exit temp vs mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That darkening looks problematic. I usually have a light whiteish, slightly slimy film on my RIMS element and it easily wipes off following the brew as long as you don't let it dry. I'm assuming its some sort of protein/carbohydrate film. I've have friends that didn't clean their elements after each brew and they developed 'smokey' flavor and aroma in all of their beers. Always clean your elements following a brew session.

Definitely-- I actually scorched my first batch and had to use bar keepers friend to get all the char off.. so I guess I learned the "clean your element!" lesson early? [emoji28]

Thanks for the feedback on this. We'll see how the post ferment turns out, but I'm hoping I may have gotten lucky on this one since the wort hit my planned OG, was nice and sweet, and had no (noticeable?) burnt or caramelized off flavors... more to come!

1100 W @ 110
4600 W @ 220

I ran 110 for holding temps and then cutover to 220 for stepping up temps. I originally just tried the 110 to keep the WD down, but it took almost 40 minutes to step from 122-152 F (10 gallon batch).
I find this very interesting because with 1800w and 36" of element length I get about 2 degrees per minute rise out of a 11 gallon mash... This is at 1.8gallons per minute flow average so this tells me the longer length really does have a large effect on capability... BTW my setup is not insulated in any way and as mentioned I crush at credit card thickness and dont need any rice hulls of conditioning.. I mention this only to point out that its not really needed at all if the right conditions are met. again proper filtering and low flow are key.

1100 W @ 110
4600 W @ 220

I ran 110 for holding temps and then cutover to 220 for stepping up temps. I originally just tried the 110 to keep the WD down, but it took almost 40 minutes to step from 122-152 F (10 gallon batch).

Using a similar setup and process, I have not been able to reliably perform a step mash at 220V. If I increase flow to avoid scorching at 4400W, I have a good chance of sticking the grain bed. I have a full diameter false bottom.

Just a follow up on my first RIMS brew day: the controller & RIMS Rocket worked flawlessly, temperatures were held with virtually no drop (I did wrap the mash tun w a sleeping bag) and not even a hint of a stuck sparge. I set my mill to .044 and conditioned my grain as well. Mash out w the controller, single batch sparge. Moving forward I might crush the grains a tad finer, but otherwise a very enjoyable day. [emoji4]

Back