RIMS Control Panel Plug Type Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modernlifeisANDY

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am finally gearing up to put together a control panel for a hybrid electric/propane RIMS system I am building. The control panel I am going to be building will be mounted into a metal toolbox, and will contain 1 Mypin PID, switches for power, element power, and a pump, and the usual wiring and heatsinks. I am only planning on running a single 2000w 120v element off the control panel.

Now, I have an electrician friend helping me with the build, but before I move forward I have a couple questions. Since I am only using a 120v element, can the control panel itself be plugged into a normal 3 prong outlet? Not a dryer outlet, but a regular GFCI outlet like you might find on the exterior of a house or in a kitchen?

I'm also planning on using an A/V cart (like the kind you see at schools with the built-in power strip) as part of my stand - would I be able to plug the control panel into the cart and the cart into the outlet?

Thanks.

2000w/120v=16.67amps

You'll need a 20amp GFCI breaker/wiring/outlet to accomplish your goal.

So long as all of your components are rated for 20 amps you'll be fine.

A 120 volt 3 prong plug should be fine.
Strongly advise using 12 gauge 3-conductor wire for the line cord to your system.

Latest posts

Back