Rigged Blow-off Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LymanBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In the middle of an interesting fermentation...woke up to a blown lid on my bucket.

Dropped a new lid on, almost blew the second lid! Decided I should rig a blow-off tube before I had another one.

ID 1 1/4", and cut it about 4ft. This fit right over the bubbler and looks to be doing the job so far.

IMAG1048.jpg

Looks like it is working ok for now. Just note that if the bottom part of the air-lock (the smaller diameter part that is in the lid) gets clogged with krausen it's going to pop right out. It has happened to me before with a slightly similar setup. Good luck! :mug:

Shouldn't your bucket of sanitizer be at least level with your fermenter? How big is the beer? (ABV?)

I have blow off tubes on both my batches. The lids are bulging a bit but the bottles I have the tubes set in are bubbling away. One tube is an airlock and tube, the other is this neat stainless thing that goes into the bung and the tube. I like it.

Looks like it is working ok for now. Just note that if the bottom part of the air-lock (the smaller diameter part that is in the lid) gets clogged with krausen it's going to pop right out. It has happened to me before with a slightly similar setup. Good luck! :mug:

I'm a little worried about that too. I think this setup has to evolve a little after this brew. I'll probably just cut the smaller diameter part off the bottom.

How many gallons of wort? how many gallons is the bucket?

Bucket is a 6.5 gallon bucket, and 5.4ish went into it. I used a yeast I haven't used before (San Diego Super Yeast, WLP090) and it's really active!

Shouldn't your bucket of sanitizer be at least level with your fermenter? How big is the beer? (ABV?)...

Not sure on that, but I think the angle of this is a little deceiving. The bottom of the tube is close to level with the bubbler. The tube is very inflexible, and when I had the blue bucket on the ground, the blow-off tube bent the bubbler over to about 45 degrees, which didn't not look very good.

Should come in around 10% abv if the yeast does it's job.

Not sure on that, but I think the angle of this is a little deceiving. The bottom of the tube is close to level with the bubbler. The tube is very inflexible, and when I had the blue bucket on the ground, the blow-off tube bent the bubbler over to about 45 degrees, which didn't not look very good.

As long as your fermentation keeps a decent pressure inside the vessel, you should be ok, but I would recommend positioning your blowoff container so that the liquid level is lower than the level of your wort. It's probably safe, but you may want to get a longer tube and lower the blowoff bucket before the fermentation slows.

Thanks! I was curious about how much head space in the fermentor.
the High ABV and the motivated yeast must have had some rockin" Krausen!!

Back