I should have used a blow off tube ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorJC

Too many hobbies... not enough time.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My last batch was 5 gallons, plenty of headspace ...

CEB6DA21-CE8F-4EBC-BBEA-71FC8E8EC305_1_105_c.jpeg

My current batch is six gallons, I've got a mess to clean up when I get home from work. I rigged up this contraption as I was headed out the door to go to work to try to keep it closed till morning. SWMBO has informed me that it has blown the lid up again and sprayed krausen all over the inside of my chamber. I almost used a blow off tube for this batch, but the one i have is nasty and I didn't want to drive to home depot to get a new one.

IMG_9526.jpeg

On this topic, once you've got krausen all over the inside of a three-piece airlock, does anyone have a method for getting it clean again? I've thrown out two that I just couldn't scrub the gunk out of.

On this topic, once you've got krausen all over the inside of a three-piece airlock, does anyone have a method for getting it clean again? I've thrown out two that I just couldn't scrub the gunk out of.

A 3-piece? Just a good Oxy or PBW soak seems to work well for me. An s-type double bubble? Yick.

Even laundry detergent works well for cleaning such stuff as dried on yeast and trub when it's in places you can't get to well with a brush or something to scrub on it.

Bummer.
Fermcap S is your friend. It kills the krausen by breaking the surface tension so it makes it harder to monitor the fermentation but prevents these issues. Pros use it all the time in the kettle and again in the fermenter highly recommend.

Bummer.
Fermcap S is your friend. It kills the krausen by breaking the surface tension so it makes it harder to monitor the fermentation but prevents these issues. Pros use it all the time in the kettle and again in the fermenter highly recommend.
Yep, I've got some of that coming in with the new fermentor that I ordered.

Back