Riesling clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Hello all. I have 6 gallons of Riesling that was born in mid October 2011. It is simply grape juice and yeast. I have racked it a few times over the past 6 months but the it does not appear to be clearing as much as I thought it would by now. I have included a picture below. Sorry for the graniness but it should give you an idea. I took a gravity reading this morning and it is right at 1.000. I keep it covered all the time out of the sun and light and it is fermenting at about the lower 60s. Any thoughts as to why this is still not clear after 6 months? Do I just need to wait longer? Cold crash? Bentonite? Anything else?

photo.jpg

Did you degas it ? From what I understand it needs to be degassed before it will completely clear. I just made my first batch also a riesling, started on 3-11-12
degassed on 4-9-12 and is clear as can be. I'll be bottling it this week. I know its not much help! Good luck

That makes sense--if it's still degassing, the gas would be rising and keeping particle from settling.

That's an awful lot of headspace. I'd rack to a smaller carboy and let it sit for about 2 months. Then if still not clear, I'd try cold stabilization- putting it in the fridge or a cold place for a month. That should clear it up.

When adding nutrients, sugars, yeast to a media, all sorts of reactions take place, given the ambient temp, humidity and storage attributes there are many molecular changes happening. Active suspension is that result, limited room for O2 introduction, gravity and time will allow maturity of a fine wine, cold stabilization will speed up the settling of the active suspension without addition of more chemicals to exasperate the wine.

Back