Ridiculous Primary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Premnasbiaculeatus

Reaction score
Shot this last night because it was a good one. Today it's just steady bubbling, but last night my blow off tube would clog with foam and then clear itself in 40 second intervals like a co2 old faithful. Anyone else have a video like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
What yeast strain were you using? I've had much the same happen both times I used WLP023 Burton Ale yeast, and subsequently have had to clean up a big fat mess! I don't think I'll try that strain anymore, even though it is a really resilient yeast. These volcanic fermentations, while impressive to look at, get on my nerves. :mug:

What yeast strain were you using? I've had much the same happen both times I used WLP023 Burton Ale yeast, and subsequently have had to clean up a big fat mess! I don't think I'll try that strain anymore, even though it is a really resilient yeast. These volcanic fermentations, while impressive to look at, get on my nerves. :mug:

I'm using safale us-04. I always go with a blow off, no matter what yeast I use, After my first couple explosions i just stopped using airlocks at the beginning of primary. I love it though, seeing the yeast so active and alive; it's exhilarating.

Yeah I had my first bucket blowout the other day with wlp001 and a nice starter, thankfully my fermentation chamber kept it off the ceiling carpet and walls, but still a PitA to clean up, I will forever be a member of the blowoff tube faction for primary from now on.

I'd like to see a shot of the fermenter showing the headspace and the actual krausen's height and activity.

Looks like you are not losing too much beer into the blow off, just a little krausen and a ton of CO2. Good job.

bosco

Yah, I stopped using airlocks for a while myself until a batch of beer was infected by fruit flies...now I must force myself to use the airlocks everytime. I have never tried forming a blow-off for a bucket, which I do all my fermenting in. I always figured the 3/8" tube would get clogged too easy due to its size.

...now you have my brain going and I'm going to start looking around for 1.25 inch or so rubber gaskets so I can cut a bung hole in my fermenter lid for a blow-off....HMMmmmmm

...and WOW, all that from S-04...amazing!!

I'd like to see a shot of the fermenter showing the headspace and the actual krausen's height and activity.

Looks like you are not losing too much beer into the blow off, just a little krausen and a ton of CO2. Good job.

bosco
I'd take a picture if I could but I'm using this;
74065p.jpg

as my fermenter. I can't really get a good angle to photograph the interior. But i'd say my head space is probably about 4" or 5".

Yah, I stopped using airlocks for a while myself until a batch of beer was infected by fruit flies...now I must force myself to use the airlocks everytime. I have never tried forming a blow-off for a bucket, which I do all my fermenting in. I always figured the 3/8" tube would get clogged too easy due to its size.

...now you have my brain going and I'm going to start looking around for 1.25 inch or so rubber gaskets so I can cut a bung hole in my fermenter lid for a blow-off....HMMmmmmm

...and WOW, all that from S-04...amazing!!

If you heat up some vinyl tubing you can stick it right over the tube in the middle of a 3 peice air lock. should fit perfectly.

Back