Rice wine with fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy_84

Reaction score
Planning on making a batch of rice wine with and adding blueberries into it. Just don’t know when to add the blue blueberries. Would I add them at primary or let the wine age on the fruit?

I’ve read through most of the rice wine post, I believe you’re supposed add the fruit or juice to the finished product.

Actually, after thinking about this a little bit, you could do this with fruit in primary, but you don’t put it in with the rice. Once the liquid layer has built up on the bottom, and fermentation has definitely begun, add the fruits to the liquid part and the yeast should be able to work on it like normal. If your using the enzymes to break down the rice instead of yeast balls, then add the fruit when you pitch the yeast to the rice water.
Mind you, I’ve never made a batch, so I may have it wrong.

I would add the fruit after fermentation has finished. Likely won't start a new fermentation due to the high alcohol content, but will infuse the final product.
Let us know how it turns out.

Actually, after thinking about this a little bit, you could do this with fruit in primary, but you don’t put it in with the rice. Once the liquid layer has built up on the bottom, and fermentation has definitely begun, add the fruits to the liquid part and the yeast should be able to work on it like normal. If your using the enzymes to break down the rice instead of yeast balls, then add the fruit when you pitch the yeast to the rice water.
Mind you, I’ve never made a batch, so I may have it wrong.

I’m using yeast balls I was wondering about that myself once I get the liquid if adding fruit then would work. Also wondering if I should make two totally different wines and blend them.

If you have the containers to do it in, do it all and test lol. You’ll have more control with blending it at the end though.

Latest posts

Back