Rice hull absorption

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron

Reaction score
Hello,

Is Rice Hull absorption the same as grain?

I usually figure .1 gal / lb for grain.

Thanks,

Rick

Not even close. Most absorbtion in the mash is from the grain. The husk absorbs next to nothing. I personally don't worry about it but others will presoak their ricehulls before throwing them in the mash tun to circumvent any absorbtion issues.

I did.

Does anyone know if beersmith calculates absorbtion for rice hulls? If so I might just exclude it from the grain bill.

heckels said:
Not even close. Most absorbtion in the mash is from the grain. The husk absorbs next to nothing. I personally don't worry about it but others will presoak their ricehulls before throwing them in the mash tun to circumvent any absorbtion issues.

Thanks for the info.

mjtski said:
I did.

Does anyone know if beersmith calculates absorbtion for rice hulls? If so I might just exclude it from the grain bill.

Good question-- I'll put it in and see if it makes a difference

just soak them in hot water first. then you don't have to account for absorbtion (abdorption, abortion, etc...) or heat loss, and they get that much cleaner.

Latest posts

Back