Rhino Farts: H2S or kMeta offgassing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebstauffer

Reaction score
I purchase raw cider (this year at 12.5 brix) from my LHBS. SOP is to dose with .1g of kMeta 24 hours before pitching. I add Distillavite GN and nutrients and pitch US-05 or some other neutral yeast (I like a clean, simple cider) and ferment at 67*.

I'm five days in and I'm getting considerable rhino farts which I havent had with this procedure previously. The only change I've made is to split the nutrient addition into two doses, one (2g) initially and one when fermentation is 1/2 completed (whatever that means). If I new the rhino farts were from nutrient deficiency I'd add the second dose of nutrients but I'm just not certain. Thoughts?

You didn't mention how big the batch was, but 0.1 g is a very small does of sulfite so I would be surprised if you could smell that. If you are not near the end of the ferment you could add extra nutrient but otherwise skip it. Left over nutrient will only help spoilage organisms.

A few months ago I made a batch with no nutrient at all based on this post:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=518060

and although it stank pretty bad while fermenting it is really good now so I wouldn't worry about farts.

Still, that's half a gram of sulfite -- not enough to stink up anything. So it's likely farts, but if it were me I would let it go. It's not going to make your cider bad in the long run.

Back