Hard Cider - Tannin, Kmeta, Sorbate, Sparkaloid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handi

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew up a 2 gallon batch of Hard Cider.

I have a Question of weather I need to Add Tannin, I know it's kinda like a Flavor booster, give it a little kick kinda.

What about Yeast Nutrient and Enegizer?

Also, Do I need to add Kmeta and Sorbate at the end of the Fermentation and would it also be ok to add some Sparkaloid?

I'm not planning on Sweetening it, but I am Planning on Backsweetening it with some Brown Sugar, maybe even Carbonating the Bottles and doing the Pastrization process pinned at the top of the Cider Forum to make it Sparkling Cider.

If I do the Sparkling Cider, then I know I won't need the Kmeta and Sorbate. I may make 2 Batches, 1 Sparkling 1 Straight up.

Any thoughts? I bought 2 Gallons at walmart, so I'm going to Put them in and let them sit for about 2 days before I pitch yeast.

I grabbed a Pack of Brewer's Best Cider Yeast at my LHBS that I'm going to use.

Any Thoughts?

What are you putting in and why are you letting it set for 2 days? Did you make sure there are no additives to your juice? WVMJ

What are you putting in and why are you letting it set for 2 days? Did you make sure there are no additives to your juice? WVMJ

Just following Instructions. The photo is below of what is in it. It had Sorbate and Binzonite or something like that in it.

And I also wanted to let it get to room temp, Just pulled it out of the fridge and didn't want to pitch yeast when it was really cold.

20150110_044413[1].jpg

Just following Instructions. The photo is below of what is in it. It had Sorbate and Binzonite or something like that in it.

The sorbate is EXACTLY what you DO NOT want the juice to contain.

Which directions were you following?

The sorbate is EXACTLY what you DO NOT want the juice to contain.

Which directions were you following?

Not really any.

I just Grabbed these cause they were on Sale. I didn't pay 100% attention to the Label, I know Sorbate Inhibits the Yeast from growing so it has a Slightly longer Shelf Life.

If I'm not mistaken, Lemon Juice has the Same Ingredient or close so it don't spoil, I thought if I added Nutrients and Enegizers that maybe it would work and ferment.

I don't have to many Options for Juice here, at least not without paying a descent amount of $$ for the Juice.

So I'm assuming that this one will not work? even if I allow it to Sit for a few days? Or even if I add Nutrients and enegizers?

Do u have a Walmart nearby?

Musselmans Apple cider is what u want. Only additive is Vitamin C.

If not most frozen Apple juice concentrate has none

Do u have a Walmart nearby?

Musselmans Apple cider is what u want. Only additive is Vitamin C.

If not most frozen Apple juice concentrate has none

Yes, that's where I got this Cider from. I didn't search all over, they had an End Cap with this Apple Juice on it.

I guess I should've Paid more attention to the Label. First time Cider maker here LOL

Yes, that's where I got this Cider from. I didn't search all over, they had an End Cap with this Apple Juice on it.

I guess I should've Paid more attention to the Label. First time Cider maker here LOL

Benzoate and sorbate are the two additives that are problematic. They are added as a preservative, to keep the juice from fermenting on the shelf. It's nearly impossible to get a fermentation going with either one of those ingredients. With both added, it just won't ferment. Anything else (like sulfites) would be fine.

Benzoate and sorbate are the two additives that are problematic. They are added as a preservative, to keep the juice from fermenting on the shelf. It's nearly impossible to get a fermentation going with either one of those ingredients. With both added, it just won't ferment. Anything else (like sulfites) would be fine.

Ok, Thanks for the information.

I guess I got 2 Gallons to Drink up then!

Back