Rhetorical Disfluencies that I Hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nobody stated anything about it's usage. The argument was that it wasn't a word.

Also, note that I didn't use the "whore" dictionary nor the "urban dictionary" that so many people turn to in order to defend their improper vocabulary.

Anyway, :mug:

hmmmm, quite vexing. i have to call the grammar natzis on you; proper diction dictates "is not."

I have to say, double negatives are NOT proper words.

For that matter, I guess flubbermcjibbet is a word just because you can say it, but do we draw line somewhere?

Regardless (;)), Irregardless is NOT the word that most dumbasses mean to use.

Is "its" ever a word?

Posessive has the ' : We love it's performances. We love fido's performances.

We don't say "That one is Johns" Do we? It's John's dildo, John's uncircumcised dog, or whatever.

Contractions also have the ' : We can't, shouldn't, could've, would've etc.

It is, when contracted, is it's.

Right?

Hmmmmmm

Google turned up contradicting terms. Why would the rule of thumb of replacing in a sentence not work?

John's dildo is well used.

Its dildo is well used...

Wierd.

It own'e the dildo the same as John.....WTF?

Is "its" ever a word?

It is, contracted is it's.

Right?

"Its" is a possessive. We love its performances. Don't ask me why, it's just the way it's.

(see what I did there)

Is "its" ever a word?

It is, contracted is it's.

Right?

yes "its" and "it's" are both words.

"My beer will sit in its carboy; it's a brown ale"

I still submit that "its" has become OK due to common misuse.

It's meaning is what its. (See what I haz dun there?)

John's dildo is well used.

Its dildo is well used...

Wierd.

It own'e the dildo the same as John.....WTF?

Why does John own a dildo??

Anyway, "Its dildo is well used..." would be incorrect, since John is not an "It". The correct- "His dildo is well used." If the possessor of the dildo were an "it", like lets say, a shemale, then "Its dildo is well used" would be correct.

Edit, i think i may be wrong with the "Its dildo is well used" being correct.

I still submit that "its" has become OK due to common misuse.
You might be partially right there. It was originally used a neutral possessive, commonly used to replace "his." It was probably kept as its to avoid confusion with the contraction "it's." The latter part is just a guess.

Quite honestly, it's not that hard a distinction to make. Its possessive, it's contraction.

When I learned Spanish in college, I came to realize that English is just an effed up language. Learning Spanish as a second language gave me TONS of respect for Spanish speakers trying to learn English later in life. Spanish has rules it actually follows 99.9% of the time. English has more exceptions to the rules than it has rules.

Lol, the boring grammer subject matter necesitated that John have a dildo.

And no John isn't an IT, but why is IT special?

"The Dog's dildo" has an apostrophe, The same with Satan's dildo.

Why is IT left out?

STUPID.

Shecky probably has it right.

I guess "It's mating" could be taken either way if there wasn't a difference.

It could mean "Its previous sexual encounter" or "IT is phucking something RIGHT NOW!!!!"

Just stumbled across this one. Well, maybe no one else cares about speaking reasonably well around here (or, not since November), but mutilating our language doesn't sit well with me. No, I won't claim to write with any high style or perfect grammar, but at least I've mastered grade school level English.

One thing I see everywhere now is the insertion of apostrophes into plural nouns and even verbs conjugated in the third person singular. Really? "My friend Bob like's his beer. He drinks nothing but lager's." Unbelievable. The interwebz has become a wasteland of inappropriate apostrophes.

just stumbled across this one. Well, maybe no one else cares about speaking reasonably well around here (or, not since november), but mutilating our language doesn't sit well with me. No, i won't claim to write with any high style or perfect grammar, but at least i've mastered grade school level english.

The interwebz has become a wasteland of inappropriate apostrophes.

๏_ಠ

the biggest one that annoys me is "iders" instead of ideas... where does the "r" even come from? (Paul Sr. from American Choppers is notorious for this)

That's definitely a regional pronunciation thing where "a" sounds are turned to "er" sounds like "soder" instead of "soda". The same people say "TH" words as if the H weren't there; "tree" instead of "three".

I attribute that to the I Touch screwing with people and putting the wrong words in most of the time.

Auto correction of typing by mobile devices is the source of many a wonderful (and sometimes terrible) phrases. Not too long ago, my fiancee was typing a text message or something to a friend. She mistyped a word, and her phone offered several suggestions instead. There were four, to be exact, and they appeared in this order: Suck, Sick, Duck, Dick.

There's a website around that collects images of bad auto correct typing glitches. I'll have to dig that up. It's all kinds of funny.

Irregardless is a classic example of the destruction of language. Apparently it is easier to give it word status than teach people it is not a word.

Has anyone mentioned Dethawed?

Here are two used together. One I love, the other, not so much.

>>I remain trepidacious, but it might could happen.<<

I'm a bit surprised that nobody has yet mentioned "not so much".

Is "not so much" wrong? Its not something i say often (at least i don't notice myself saying it), but when others say it, it doesn't sound wrong to me.

Fletch, your avatar looks like a bewb.

And whoever said that "Z" is not pronounced "Zed" is just wrong. Yes, that goes for all 300 million of you.

Here are my biggest language-related pet peeves all rolled into one:

People are definately suppose to proofread there posts; cause that way, your going to make less mistakes, then without, proofreadign. Alright, I should of said this alot sooner.

Ugh, I thought of a couple more:
"Proverbial,"

"Said" as in "I saw this girl at the beach today. Said girl was gorgeous, " and

Referring to singular groups in the plural, as in "the team are having a good season" and "Led Zeppelin are a legend."

Here are my biggest language-related pet peeves all rolled into one:

People are definately suppose to proofread there posts; cause that way, your going to make less mistakes, then without, proofreadign. Alright, I should of said this alot sooner.

sweet

'I could care less' instead of 'I couldn't care less'.

I find that a lot of Americans are guilty of this (usually the younger generations).

Also while I'm here, 'alot' instead of 'a lot'.

"By and large."
What the hell does that mean? Can something be merely "by" or just "large?" One wouldn't say "By, 1056 needs to be under 70 degrees" or "Large, 1056 needs to be under 70" but put them together and, for some reason, "By and large" means something.

Back