Revolutionary EPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea! That beer sounds like it would be pretty cool. I loved the packaging too, looks like a bottle of Glenlivet or something lol. Did you put your beer on oak chips for 3 weeks in the secondary? How close is Inns and Gunn to where you're at?

1.042 isn't too bad, in this instance i think its better you're under instead of over. I tweaked my barley mill a few months back. . . big mistake. I've been missing my gravities badly (like 50-60 % efficiency) on my last two beers I made. So I'll have to re-adjust everything to get things back to 70-75%. I'm glad you gave me the heads up on the Maris Otter. It's one of my favorites so I'm glad I stocked up months ago.

Just because its easier to share recipes this way, visit my recipe profile on hopville.com. All of my recent recipes are posted there, also I've included some detailed tasting notes in most cases too. You don't have to create a profile to view mine.
http://hopville.com/brewer/aehausman

I think inns and gunn is in Scotland? I did just over 2 weeks secondary on French medium toast oak. Hopefully it turns out well, I think the oak will help smooth out the beer as the S-04 went a bit crazy even with the higher mash and might have put it out of balance. I think I need to get a house strain liquid yeast that attenuates more around the 75% area.

Maybe west Yorkshire ale yeast as I'm actually in south Yorkshire.

Ever heard of thornbridge brewery? Did a day there last week and may get a job there when their sales team catches up with recent capacity increase.

did something somewhat similar last month, been in bottles for 2 weeks now and very much looking forward to trying it soon

OG was around 1.054
FG ended way low at 1.008
mashed around 149.5 which was a few deg lower than I had planned

WLP007 is a beast! i tried to wash the yeast but couldn't get great separation from the trub and pitched about 1/2 gal of slurry into my 1.094 Barleywine which also finished (astonishingly) at 1.008ish - 90% attenuation!

8 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 71.91 %
2 lbs 10.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 23.60 %
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.49 %

.50 oz Chinook [10.00 %](60 min)
.50 oz Chinook [10.00 %](30 min)
.50 oz Chinook [10.00 %] (5 min)
1.00 oz Chinook [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [Starter 2000 ml]

Hi FL brewer... with Thornbridge, it'll most likely start of doing the manual / basic jobs first while learning to brew on the side I guess. There is a lot to learn there, they have their own lab to do yeast cell counts or o2 saturation levels etc etc. They also have a fair bit of automation which would obviously take some getting used to!

WLP007 is the same as S04 right? It is a hungry strain!

The malt base looks a bit different with honey malt in it, let us know how it turns out. I'd have thought a more floral hop would have gone better with it? Although chinook goes well with a good malty base.

honey malt was to try something different than crystal - it actually goes pretty well with the malt base, I def plan on using it again but in something that's less hoppy

the recipe kept getting changed once I determined I wanted to harvest the yeast so I minimized the hops - IBU came in right around 33 i believe - I know chinook is a bit of a stretch to fall into ESB category but BJCP said american hops are becoming more common/accepted in ESB style so i figured why not

i think the chinook are still a little dominating right now, its still a tasty beer but not as malt balanced as I was trying for but it has a nice malty/honey finish and i've read that the bitterness profile on them will mellow with time as will the aroma so I think it will be a really flavorful easy drinker in a few weeks

Summer's been busy! I have managed to sneak some brewing in now that I have my new freezer and temp controller. I brewed 2 weeks ago, and brewing a pumpkin ale tomorrow.

I received my beer score sheets from the comp which I entered the ESB. I didn't do absolutely awful. It scored a 27, the major critiques were related to issues of balance between malt and hops. One judge felt that the beer lacked malt character & the hops were more prevalent. The other judge wanted more malt complexity and more hops. Both felt the beer needed more overall body. The body was on the lighter side for an ESB.

I think if I were to repeat the recipe I would eliminate a couple of the specialty grains and candied sugar, and just go bigger with the remaining specialty grains. Probably more crystal, flaked barley for better head retention, and more dextrine for body. Also, If I remember correctly the hops I used were older, so I have to use something much fresher next time.

In all 4 of my beers that I submitted none of the judges made any comments regarding any off flavors or major flaws. (I.e. sourness, astringency, esters, diacetyl chill haze, etc.) At least I'm doing something right I guess. lol

Terra ~ How do you think the honey malt would work in a blonde ale? Or what kind of beers were you thinking would work best?

Chill ~A co-worker of mine brought in two beers from Innis & Gunn (original & rum cask) from a beer store in Utica. So I'll be running out to pick them up this week!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30005&stc=1&d=1310959038

Innis & Gunn.jpg

Not too bad a score, I bet its a hard style to score well in as the favours are so subtle the slightest flaws or lack of balance will stick out like a sore thumb.

Have you considered horrified wheat yet? It's what most UK brewers use for head retention and body, i think a good 8-10% on a lowly carbed beer.

Is say good idea to drop the sugar. May look at doing a mash at 148f for 60 then raise to 156f for 30mins, thornbridge do that and its meant to add more body and get the best out the grain.

My oaked bitter has come out nicely! Tastes very much like something I could get in a pub on cask but with a bit of fruitless from the special b and the oak makes it nice a smooth, reckon it'll be better in a few weeks when the oak has blended more into the beer.

Nice find on the inns and gunn, let me know what you think!

i think the honey would work well with a blonde as long as you don't use too much to overpower the other delicate flavors

i used a 1/2 # in my recipe and even with the strong hop and malt presence you can still taste the honey - maybe something more like 4-6oz would be a better amount to try at 1st dep how much honey flavor you are looking for - i believe it's around 27L as well so also keep that in mind when figuring out SRM

Back