Review of Brewershardware element connector...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
After I had some scorching in the RIMS tubs I decided to go with something more removable. Right away I found this at Brewershardware.

rimsconnector.jpg

Before I go into the review, let me say that if you have a LWD element, you may be fine recirculating cleaning fluids. Although I ordered an ULWD element for the RIMS tube, it's clear from comparing it to my new LWD element that the original is not ULWD.

98d39778.jpg

I did notice some rust on the base of the element in the RIMS. So even without scorching, you might be getting some rust.

The connector runs $69 and does not include a npt to tri clamp adapter fitting, the clamp or O-ring, as I recall. It does include a watertight cap for the element connections and strain relief for the cord. My first impression was very positive. It's a high quality, bling'd out fitting. It includes a grounding screw and a very nice, waterproof, stainless cap to cover your element connections. I was happy to say goodbye to my drilled PVC cap and silicone. The cap comes with a watertight strain relief fitting as well. Seems overly large at first, but if you tighten her down all the way it does provide adequate strain relief. I had it together in no time.

cd926b23.jpg

It works as advertised. No leaks, very solid and attractive looking, though the rest of my budget stainless from Murrayequipment.com looks kind of crappy in comparison..

The only cons I could speak of are the following:

1) The ground screw is a great addition to a self contained element cap, but I had to remove it to get the element installed first. It's a bit hard to replace all of those little nuts and washers. You'll need nimble fingers. Use an allen wrench to turn the screw while you hold the nut in place.

2) The fitting is not wide enough to accommodate an element wrench. I find this a bit odd. You'll have to settle for hand tightening, which was water tight for me. But I didn't like tightening it by having to grip the actual heating element. There's no way to get your hand inside the back of this fitting, so use caution when tightening.

That's about all I've noticed so far. For the most part it's nit picking. I recommend the fitting.

Cheers!:mug:

I like this fitting very much and don't understand why no one has used it on an actual electric kettle as opposed to a box.

I'd imagine it being due to the cost. I just put an order on one as I was ordering some other stuff from brewers hardware. I've been watching it for some time now just haven't had an excuse to pull the trigger until I read this. So I decided to go ahead and add it to the order which will replace the pvc cap and silicone like the OP on my RIMS tube.
Aside from that the greatest benefit is that I will now be able to remove and clean the element after a brew day.

I like this fitting very much and don't understand why no one has used it on an actual electric kettle as opposed to a box.

In addition to the price, this item is pretty much plug and play with a RIMS tube. But if you want it in your BK, well, now you have to solder a ferrule to it, unless you are going to put the element on using the original opening of the keg and cut off the bottom instead of the top.

Having recently gotten into silver soldering on a keggle, it's an interesting experience with the right kind of flux and solder. Works great once you get the hang of it. But I imagine it's another factor.

I've got these on my HLT and BK. I silver-brazed triclamp ferrules onto my kettles. They work like a charm. The strain relief is about the right size for 10/2 SJOOW cable from Home Depot, which is nice and flexible, albeit a little tricky to work with due to the fine stranding of the conductors.

An element wrench of the deep-socket type will work if you remove the grounding screw and then reinstall it. Got mine at the big orange box store.

The rippled Camco elements will not fit through the adapter, just as an FYI. Camco does sell a straight 5500W ULWD LimeLife element - it will fit fine in the Winco 10/15 gallon kettles.

...The rippled Camco elements will not fit through the adapter, just as an FYI. Camco does sell a straight 5500W ULWD LimeLife element - it will fit fine in the Winco 10/15 gallon kettles...

Is that with the 1.5" tri clover element connector?
They carry a 2" version I guess for that reason, but I wouldn't know for sure. I use a 1500W element on mine.

juvinious said:
Is that with the 1.5" tri clover element connector?
They carry a 2" version I guess for that reason, but I wouldn't know for sure. I use a 1500W element on mine.

Yep, I've got the 1.5" variety. Don't know about the 2" kind.

Back