Review my recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bromley

Reaction score
I'm putting together an AG Kitchen-sink Stout with all the surplus grains I have laying around. Keeping in mind that I'm trying to use up as much as I can, I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for anything that really stands out as a bad idea to throw into it. And feel free to close your reply with "*******", if you feel it's necessary. Thanks!

4.5lb 2-row pale malt
3lb 6-row pale malt
1lb flaked oats
0.75lb Carahell
0.70lb Black Barley Malt
0.66lb Belgian Aromatic
0.58lb Vienna Malt
0.56lb Acidulated Malt
0.43lb Chocolate Malt
0.21lb Crystal 40L

1oz Kent Goldings 60min
0.5oz Kent Goldings 30min
0.5oz Kent Goldings 15min

WhiteLabs Burton Ale Yeast

What'cha think?

Looks good, though I've never used more than 1/4# of acid malt for a 10 gallon batch.

THe Black can also be a bit overpowering if you use too much.

If you back off on those a bit, you may end up with a milder tasting oatmeal stout.

Bromley said:
I'm putting together an AG Kitchen-sink Stout with all the surplus grains I have laying around. Keeping in mind that I'm trying to use up as much as I can, I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for anything that really stands out as a bad idea to throw into it. And feel free to close your reply with "*******", if you feel it's necessary. Thanks!

4.5lb 2-row pale malt
3lb 6-row pale malt
1lb flaked oats
0.75lb Carahell
0.70lb Black Barley Malt
0.66lb Belgian Aromatic
0.58lb Vienna Malt
0.56lb Acidulated Malt
0.43lb Chocolate Malt
0.21lb Crystal 40L

1oz Kent Goldings 60min
0.5oz Kent Goldings 30min
0.5oz Kent Goldings 15min

WhiteLabs Burton Ale Yeast

What'cha think?

I would use the 2 row, the 6 row, the oats, some of the black malt, the chocolate malt and the crystal. Use all the hops. Should make a good stout.

Yeah, it was mostly the acid and black malts that I was concerned with. I think I'll go 1/4# acid and 1/2# black. Thanks for the advice!

I agree with Biermuncher... given the amount of base malt. I'd go the other way though, by increasing the base malt and leaving the other stuff in there.... -p

Use these for sure:
4.5lb 2-row pale malt
3lb 6-row pale malt
1lb flaked oats
0.43lb Chocolate Malt

Cut these back, as you already mention:

0.70lb Black Barley Malt
0.56lb Acidulated Malt

I'd only use one or two of the following. Pick your favorite two, but it seems like bigtime overkill to add all of it, and it may make your beer excessively sweet/malty in the end.
0.66lb Belgian Aromatic
0.58lb Vienna Malt
0.75lb Carahell
0.21lb Crystal 40L

Back