Reverend Nat's 4th annual apple market

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theinterneti

Reaction score
Inspired by a recent post about one of Rev. Nat's brews I checked out their website and found this AMAZING news...

DTN0qjW.png

Having recently tried Nat's sour cherry, and LOVING IT. I decided to head down there and check out the scene. Pretty incredible really. Huge bushels of apples on the curb and lots of people filling baskets. Really tasty hot juice free for all as promised. Free black and white Rev' Nat's stickers. What an awesome way to give back to the community!

Beyond the free stuff, Nat made some cider donuts which were 'donation accepted' and impressively tasty. A WIDE selection of Nat's ciders on tap and various bottles I haven't seen anywhere else. Also hats, tee shirts and sweaters with the logo.

Down to the brewing. Rev Nat had 4 Juices on offer...
Bartlett pear
Granny smith
Newtown pippin
Special blend -- Sorry I failed to take notes on the specifics of this. Presumably a blend of Jonagold/honeycrisp, Granny smith and Newtown pippin.

Rev. Nat was hesitant to give specific yeast advice, but when I suggested D-47 for the pear he agreed that would be very good. When I suggested Nottingham for the blend... He looked up from my carboy smiling and said that should be GREAT and better than US-05 which I also asked about.

After filling up my carboys and bucket I shook the good reverend's hand. Then I went back to my Hopricot. Hallelujah.

Now, my carboys and bucket are happily bubbling away. I got 3 gallons of pear and treated that with D-47, 5 gallons of 'special blend' and hit that with Nottingham. Both batches got nutrient. Both of those were $6/gallon.

-- aside--
I noticed my nutrient is labled 'beer nutrient' -- Wyeast, is that good for cidering?

I know the lack of pictures represents an epic fail in this kind of thread. You will just have to forgive me and take my word for it that the cidery is beautiful and SO CLEAN.

Rev. Nat is THE MAN! (in a good way)

Sweet! Sounds like an awesome cidery & experience! Jealous I'm not closer......Michigan is a haul.

Cheers [emoji111]

Everyone loved the warm juice @ Nat's!

Some good cidery's in Michigan? I know they grow a lot of apples there.

Brew update:
D47 Perry -- stopped bubbling, still very cloudy though.
Nat's blend on Notti -- bubbling has stopped on the 2 gal bucket. The 3 gal carboy is still going steady but slow, pretty cloudy.

Is $6/gal a pretty decent price for fresh, cold-pressed and UV pasteurized cider juice? Not a lot of experience here, my first cider was made this august. An orchard OTW home charges $7 a gal for their juice (not a cider blend).

Everyone loved the warm juice @ Nat's!

Some good cidery's in Michigan? I know they grow a lot of apples there.

Brew update:
D47 Perry -- stopped bubbling, still very cloudy though.
Nat's blend on Notti -- bubbling has stopped on the 2 gal bucket. The 3 gal carboy is still going steady but slow, pretty cloudy.

Is $6/gal a pretty decent price for fresh, cold-pressed and UV pasteurized cider juice? Not a lot of experience here, my first cider was made this august. An orchard OTW home charges $7 a gal for their juice (not a cider blend).
Lotsa great cider mills in my area [emoji16]

Juice is typically $7-9/gal at the mill & sometimes it's available from local markets for $4/gal.

Cheers & Good Luck [emoji111]

I’ve paid $4-8/gal. at the cider mill. Depending on year & blend.

Rev. Nat was hesitant to give specific yeast advice, but when I suggested D-47 for the pear he agreed that would be very good. When I suggested Nottingham for the blend... He looked up from my carboy smiling and said that should be GREAT and better than US-05 which I also asked about.

I've been trying to figure out Rev. Nat's yeast choices, he sometimes gives some hints, I believe its a Belgian Saison yeast.
Looks like the event was a fun time, wish I could go to something like that.

Back