Apple varieties for cider and eating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsware

Reaction score
I have some space in my yard to plant some apple trees. I would like varieties that would make a good cider but would also work for eating/baking etc. My current thought is winesap, McIntosh, and newtown pippin. Is there anything I’m missing with this combo?

I think all of the above would be good choices. I'd also consider Baldwin and Northern Spy. Maybe some crabs like Wickson or Chestnut.

Also don't forget to think about bloom time and harvest time. Each tree will need a pollination partner that blooms at the same time. If you grow a triploid (like Winesap or Baldwin) they have sterile pollen, so you will need a third non-triploid in bloom for full pollination. For harvest, remember that they may ripen at different times. You may be able to have fresh apples all season for eating and baking depending on what you plant, but this can make more work for cider because you may not be able to press them all in one batch if the early apples don't last till the late ones are ready.

King David. Hands down the best apple for eating and cider. Most apples are good for one or the other but not both; KD is a rare exception. I grow about 50 varieties and KD is my #1 favorite.

. My current thought is winesap, McIntosh, and newtown pippin. Is there anything I’m missing with this combo?
I'm about 100 miles east and a little south from your location. I've got 30+ trees in the ground and haven't got many apples to show for the time and money invested.
The problems:
#1: Deer will eat your trees and/or push against them and knock them over. If you have any deer at all in your area they will seek out your young trees and kill them. A circle of 48" fencing will keep your trees from being destroyed, but then its a pain to mow/weed and prune. Plan your fencing before you plant anything.
#2 Diseases I try to choose disease resistant varieties but still have issues. If you don't want to be spraying a lot you're going to have problems.
#3 Insects There are various insects that will defoliate your young trees which can lead to their death. You can throw the dice and leave the bugs alone, but its better to be ready with some kind of control.
#4 Late frosts This is the main reason (I believe) I don't get many apples.
My most disease resistant varieties are Liberty and Freedom, they have also put on the most growth compared to the other trees I've planted. They used to be available from Stark's. Look around your neighborhood for apple trees that are producing and try to determine what varieties they are and go from there.

Back