Reusing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGee3

Reaction score
Im out Of yeast, but in need of some brew. So i mixed some juice and sugar together, the usual, and pour some if my 'still- brewing and fermenting' wine into the new mix. Will the yeast from the current wine multiply from eating the sugar and create more alcohol, or fail? I did this thinking that the yeast would grow, but i am seeking more experienced help to make sure im not wasting my time and wine.

There are people that use the lees of another wine all the time. Skeeter Pee even wants you to use that to get it started. Now it sounds like you only have an active fermentation and not a wine ready for racking to use the yeast cake at the bottom. As long as the wine you siphoned off mixed with the sugar juice does not reach the ABV limit of your yeast. Then it should work. May be a bit slow to start. But when you pitch that into your new must. Just whip the must to introduce oxygen a couple to three times a day and after 48 hours you should have some signs of new fermentation.

I refuse to ever do this, best to make an arpolis starter out of fresh yeast but i guess if you have to then go for it, i dont like to pray for fermentation, with fresh yeast you know its gonna happen and happen fast!

When did you start the wine that you are pulling from to hopefully start the fermentation on your new wine? And has it ever been racked, if so how many times and when?
You are making wine, right, because you keep saying you need new "brew"?
Wine is not made by brewing, of which there are five distinct phases: combine ingredients, boil, ferment, bottle and age. Just saying....I suspect you are just using the term "brew" as an equivalent for alcoholic beverage...but there are many winemakers who do say "they are brewing wine". Yes, I am sometimes anal retentive, definitely Type A personality. :)

The wine i am making is fermenting, and i used fresh yeast that had been fermenting for 3 or so days before hand. So it appears to be working,
And yes i know, i often just say "brew" because i mess around with flavors and often dont know if its turned into wine, or a kind of cordial.. (from what info i hhave gathered on the internet).
I am still learning all of the terminology, thanks for the info, much appreciated, im in this site to learn!:)

Back