Reusing yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnoodle

Reaction score
I just moved 2 gallons of hard lemonade out of my Mr. Beer fermentor to secondary, and decided to make a batch of cheap wine so I poured all of my ingredients on top of the sludge hat was at the bottom of he fermentor. I guess my question is will his produce off flavors with my wine? I know that it will probably keep some of the lemonade flavor but will there be any others? Also how long can yeast keep reproducing, is there a limit on how many batches you can make on just one pitching? I would think as long as there are nutrients and the atmosphere doesn't become toxic the yeast could go indefinitely. Am I wrong?

If wine yeast is the same as beer yeast i believe 5 generations is all you want to go otherwise you risk mutations which may not give good flavors. However a thread was up on the topic of reusing wine yeast not long ago. General concensus was dont do it. wine yesat is cheap why risk off flavors.

If you drain the liquid out as much as possible, you'll just get a little of the previous batch mixed in - but meh, it'll dissipate enough over 2 gallons. It won't produce any off flavours through past fermentation to my knowledge...

Awesome, I can't wait to try it. It took off the minute I added my ingredients. The smell is a little different than what I'm used to, but I'm going to let it ride and see what comes out.

Well my friends it was a good thing this was a cheap experiment, I went to rack it today and it smelled and tasted terrible. It was very sour, not as in tart but sour as in infected, and the smell was like a lemon and a dead animal punching you in the face. So I poured it down the drain and played taps while doing so. I am now at 10-3, 10 gallons have turned out great and 3 gallons have not.

I often jump start a new batch of frozen fruit into wine with the lees and pulp from the first racking of a previous batch.
Taken from the primary bucket fermentation vessel.
It is extremely fast and produces great wine.
I only do this one time per two batches.

There might have been to many leftovers from the last batch, or the two flavors didn't like each other. I just started the batch over again.

I would think the yeast were stressed from the acidity of the lemonade moreso than it being a reused cake.

I didn't even think of the yeast being stressed, the lemonade turned out great so I didn't even worry about it. I guess adding nutrients after they have been stressed wouldn't help.

if you want to keep it for more than a day or so, I recommend washing the yeast and storing it in the fridge, rather than spread out on the bottom of a carboy...

Back