Reusing Aroma Boil Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newkarian

Reaction score
I have a question and this may be totally crazy. I am planning on doing an Imperial Stout this weekend and then doing a partigyle small stout afterwards. Do you think that I can leave the hop trub, which would contain aroma additions from the IS in the boil kettle and then boil the smaller stout on this with no bittering additions? Would the 60 min additions from the IS left in the kettle cause too much harshness or would it be ok? Alternatively I could just put my aroma additions in some panty hose or something and fish them out for the next batch. Theoretically most of their bittering potential should remain correct?

Interesting idea. I know some breweries resorted to using their dry hopping hops as bittering hops recently due to the shortage. I would try putting them in a hop bag or pantyhose as you suggested, I am assuming these are leaf hops, correct?

Back