Reuse vanilla beans and cacao nibs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetskeez

Reaction score
Just about to keg a stout that was sitting on vanilla beans and cacao nibs for about a week. Prior to adding them, they were soaking in Crown Royal Black for about a week.

What I'd like to do is take advantage of the yeast and brew an IRS this weekend, and since the vanilla beans and cacao nibs are there I'm wondering what you guys think about possibly reusing the vanilla beans and cacao nibs? I expect they will not be nearly as potent anymore, which is kind of what I'm hoping for -just something subtle. Also, I haven't thought about the logistics on how I'll store them in the meant time, probably soak them in some bourbon.

My plan is to bulk age in secondary, so maybe let primary get started for two weeks before re-adding the vanilla and nibs for another two or three, then transfer to secondary? Or what would be the harm of adding to secondary and letting it all age together for six months? I don't mind experimenting, but I'd also hate to waste all that time and beer. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Back