residual sweetness in fermented beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMbrewer

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I am getting some sweetness in my beer after I keg and carbonate. It tastes good, but when I have a commercial beer I don't get that "sweet" taste in most of them. Is it that my mash temp is too low? Yeast not working enough??
Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance!

DSMbrewer
:mug:

Your grain bill is going to have a big effect on the sweetness, along with your mash temp.

Fermentation could have an effect, but that really depends on many factors which are discussed all over the place on this forum.

Those would probably be the biggest things you would want to look at. Aside from that all I can do is put a really general answer with the limited information you posted.

Lower mash temps make more fermentable wort, higher temps makes less fermentable wort.

Using a lot of crystal malts will raise your final gravity.

Sometimes it is a matter of not pitching enough yeast and/or fermenting too cold.

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Home Brew mobile app

What is your mash temp, grain bill, mash length, yeast type, yeast quantity and ferment temp?

It could be any of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sometimes it is a matter of not pitching enough yeast ...

No, according to experiments by White Labs, pitching rate doesn't really impact final gravity. (See YouTube video "Neva at Northern Brewer", roughly 10 minutes in).

Pitching rate gets blamed for far too many things around here. The obvious culprit (recipe) is the most likely issue (see also Occam's Razor).

No, according to experiments by White Labs, pitching rate doesn't really impact final gravity. (See YouTube video "Neva at Northern Brewer", roughly 10 minutes in).

Pitching rate gets blamed for far too many things around here. The obvious culprit (recipe) is the most likely issue (see also Occam's Razor).

I'll check that out but it seems reasonable to me that as alcohol levels rise a smaller less healthy yeast colony would be faster to succumb, but I'll definitely defer to the experts on this.

Back