Residual Alkalinity Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike8228

Reaction score
I have read and read and read and searched here and other forums and online, I just can’t seem to figure out what the deal with residual Alkalinity is. I understand what it is, but should we really worry about it? I see some say meh, doesn’t mater as long as the ph is good. Some say it very important (Palmer for sure).

Here is my situation. I am working on a profile for a NEIPA (Juicy Haze) with all distilled water. 7 gallons total. Using AJs primer as a base start I am doing about 2 tsp of Calcium Chloride and 1/2 tsp of Gypsum with a little epsom salt, canned salt just to balance the ca and sulfate Numbers.

This is what I have: chloride:sulfate inverses for NE style.
Calcium 99
Magnesium 6.5
Sulfate 78.5
Chloride 159.5
Sodium 92 (I’ll come back to this)
Current RA estimate -33 which is about what Palmer predicts for the SRM I am thinking it will be.

Originally the ph was around 5.6, so I added in some citric acid (going for citrus in a juicy) and some acidualted malt to dial in my ph to apx 5.4. But according to beer smith my RA was around -160 so I started adding baking soda to balance Alkalinity up and more acids to balance ph down. It was a fight for sure.

Ultimately I settled with 7.5 g of baking soda (thus the higher sodium) 4% acidulated malt and 4ml of citric. This combo got me to my target profiles, a ph of 5.4, and the RA within Palmers chart, I think.

In regards to sodium everything I’ve read including numerous post by MB here and there that sodium does work well with beers, especially IPAs, and read an article about blind taste test that higher sodium won out over lower (same recipe). As well as keeping it below 150.

Does this make sense? I have spent 100s of hours learning and reading (42 pages of the primer!) profiles and additions and tried numerous calculators to find one I liked. This is my first attempt at additions.

To summarize, I basically used AJs primer of CaCl2 and Gyspum with some acidulated malt, with very small tweeks, but used a good amount of baking soda and up’d the acids to try and balance the RA. Should I back track the balancing and ignore RA or do I have a General well rounded approach of both worlds (what I’m trying to do).

Any feedback is appreciated. I’m just tired of trying to find an answer.

Adding baking soda and then some acid doesn't make sense, they will react and all you'll have added is one more salt (sodium lactate or sodium citrate with lactic acid and citric acid respectively).

Originally the ph was around 5.6, so I added in some citric acid (going for citrus in a juicy) and some acidualted malt to dial in my ph to apx 5.4. But according to beer smith my RA was around -160 so I started adding baking soda to balance Alkalinity up and more acids to balance ph down. It was a fight for sure.

RA in and of itself is not a number to chase. If you're using a mash pH calculator, you can safely ignore what that RA number is doing as you zero in on your target pH. When your mash pH is good (5.4 in your case), stop.

Back