Repurpose motor from food processor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnmir

Reaction score
We have a no longer usable old food processor, any good ideas for repurposing the motor? I'm guessing its not the ideal candidate for powering a grain mill?

I'm also curious about this, I've got an old NutriBullet that I was wondering if it could power my grain mill. It's a 900W 1.2HP motor. Homercidal, I apologize for my ignorance, what does "gear it down" mean?

@dsniegocki

A nutribullet motor won't work. The RPM is just too high. They spin at around 25,000 RPM. You want about a 200-300 RPM or less motor to power a grain mill. You would need about a 100:1 gear reduction, which really isn't very practical.

By gearing down, he means to reduce the RPM. This can be done by pulleys and belts or by a gear reducer. "Standard" electric motors that we use for grain mills are around 1750 RPM. By getting a small pulley for the motor and a large one for the grain mill, we reduce the RPM.

A pretty common size is about a 1-2" pulley at the motor and a 10-14" pulley at the mill. What you would need would be a 1" at the motor and a 100" at the mill, which obviously is impractical, and they don't even make them in those sizes. You could also use several pulley systems to get it down to usable milling speed... But you'd spend more on belts and pulleys than you would just buying a suitable motor.

I'm guessing the OP is in the same boat, since blenders and food processors are generally very high RPM motors.

Ah. I read the OP's post to mean a stand mixer.

No, a food processor is just way too fast to consider. I've messed with using wiper motors from a junkyard, but they didn't seem strong enough. Maybe a semi-truck wiper motor would work.

I'd heard of people trying treadmill incline motors.

Honestly, it's probably cheapest and easiest to find an old appliance motor, wire it correctly for power and speed, and use a pulley to reduce the RPM (thereby increasing torque.)

My main concern with pulleys is safety. Unless you plan to install guards, they can be dangerous for getting your finger caught between the belt and pulley.

A pretty common size is about a 1-2" pulley at the motor and a 10-14" pulley at the mill. What you would need would be a 1" at the motor and a 100" at the mill, which obviously is impractical

Yeah not sure I could get that past SWMBO. Although that would look pretty sweet. : )

Perfect explanation and thanks much!

I've messed with using wiper motors from a junkyard, but they didn't seem strong enough. Maybe a semi-truck wiper motor would work.

Basically the same motor in a semi, just designed to be more environment rugged and vibration resistant.

So I turned it over to begin disassembly to see what the motor is, and found a reset. Damn thing works again.

A good source for cheap motors can be found in 2 places I can think of offhand. Pools (for the strainer) and sump pumps.

Craigslist is a great place to look for electric motors. I was patient, and kept my eyes peeled and eventually found a brand new 2 hp motor for $40. Way overkill for a mill, I know, but I don't have to ever worry about a stalled motor when starting with a full hopper.

I've found a ton of great brewing and motorcycle stuff on Craigslist by being patient and waiting until a great deal pops up and then jumping on it right away.

I take it nobody is concerned with dust explosions? If not, I think finding a cheap drill press on craigslist would be the ideal choice. They normally have ~1/2hp capacitor start motors. Any thoughts?

I take it nobody is concerned with dust explosions? If not, I think finding a cheap drill press on craigslist would be the ideal choice. They normally have ~1/2hp capacitor start motors. Any thoughts?

I would say that if you are grinding a huge amount in a small room you should be concerned about dust explosions.

Homebrew sized batches won't make enough dust to cause a dense cloud and therefore no risk of explosion.

But yeah, if you are grinding away and it starts to get really dusty, shut 'er down!

I have used a champion juicer motor for 20 years. Has sealed bearings and plenty of torque. Mounted the motor to a piece of thick plywood so as to allow adjustments.

A drill press is exactly what I used. I was able to pull the motor and the 2 stage belt reduction system out and use that to drive a Monster Mill 2 roller mill. Works great and I don't have a massive pulley at the mill end.

(even though it works fine, I am still perpetually on the lookout for a 10:1 56C frame gear reducer - just because that is the way I am)

A drill press is exactly what I used. I was able to pull the motor and the 2 stage belt reduction system out and use that to drive a Monster Mill 2 roller mill. Works great and I don't have a massive pulley at the mill end.

(even though it works fine, I am still perpetually on the lookout for a 10:1 56C frame gear reducer - just because that is the way I am)

A while back, I found 10:1 and 30:1 56C gearboxes at a local surplus store. Now I just need the motor. Will post up for sale once I give up on the project.:mug:

I bought a gear motor off eBay. It came from a hospital bed. A little slow at 75 rpm but works great on my mm 3 roller. About $35.

Back