Replicating Belgain Caramel Pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipper74

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for 12 ounces of Belgian Caramel Pils. I do not have any available, but I do have both Crystal 15 and Carapils. I am thinking of using 8 ounces of Crystal 15 and 4 ounces of Carapils as a sub. Any thoughts? Alternatively, should I just use all Crystal 15, or is there something else I may be able to dig up from my stock that is a better sub?

Thanks.

What type of crystal 15 is it? There are some in the 10-15 range that are dextrin malts (e.g. Caramalt), others that are "sweet" crystal malts. If what you have is "sweet", I would use it with the understanding that the beer won't taste the same.

What type of crystal 15 is it? There are some in the 10-15 range that are dextrin malts (e.g. Caramalt), others that are "sweet" crystal malts. If what you have is "sweet", I would use it with the understanding that the beer won't taste the same.

It is Great Western, which is listed as 13-17°L. The description is "A lightly roasted two-row malt. The slight caramel flavor and light color provides the brewer with subtlety in the recipe." I assume this is the "sweet" type, which is why I figured that I would "cut" it s bit with the Carapils to both add some dextrin malt and to bring it closer to the 6L of the Belgian Caramel Pils. Do you think I should instead go with 6 ounces of G.W. Crystal 15 and 6 ounces of Carapils?

Back