Replacing probe on johnson a419

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefencore

Reaction score
I bought a Johnson Control A419 many years back, and it came with incredibly short sensor and plugs. The plugs I've replaced, using a few extension cords. I bought a sensor/probe on amazon, I beileive I got the part info from and old thread here on hbt. It won't work. Or, at least, I haven't been able to get it to work. It has 3 leads instead of the 2 that the original probe has. Can anyone help me wire this thing? Or tell me that I can't?

Original
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1505414891.217531.jpg

Replacement
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1505414951.904316.jpg

The leads are red, yellow and black in case the lighting is bad. It's a Sunkee DS18B20 T.

Actually, that is a ds18b20 "One Wire" digital probe.
Definitely not gonna work with an A419 that's looking for a simple thermistor...

Cheers!

If it were mine, I would extend the leads.
Find a suitable 2 conductor cable, solder the leads of the probe to the extension cable. Use heat shrink tubing to insulate the individual conductors and a larger diameter tubing to insulate and protect the entire cable.
If you wanted to mail it to me I can do it for cost of materials.

That would actually be super awesome! How much do you think that would run? A 6 foot length would be superb.

I bought a Johnson Control A419 many years back, and it came with incredibly short sensor and plugs. The plugs I've replaced, using a few extension cords. I bought a sensor/probe on amazon, I beileive I got the part info from and old thread here on hbt. It won't work. Or, at least, I haven't been able to get it to work. It has 3 leads instead of the 2 that the original probe has. Can anyone help me wire this thing? Or tell me that I can't?

Original
View attachment 414028

Replacement
View attachment 414029

The leads are red, yellow and black in case the lighting is bad. It's a Sunkee DS18B20 T.

That would actually be super awesome! How much do you think that would run? A 6 foot length would be superb.

Chefencore, I left you a PM. Did you see it?

I have now. Been really busy at work. And for some reasons my notifications stopped notifying...

Back