repitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
My first all grain I did the other day is showing no signs of fermentation. I used dry yeast US Safale 05....I am gonna give it probably a day more. It is at about 64 degrees right now, When I pitched it was at about 60. Safeale says 59 to 75 for temps
I have never had to re-pitch or wait more than a day for fermentation to kick in on any beer so far. I aerated with one of this mixing wand degasser thing for a few minutes and had tons of foam before I pitched. I'm thinking I may have shocked the yeast pitching at around 61? I moved it around a little to try and get things back in suspension if I did shock it and it dropped out.

I did notice quit a bit of settlement already on the bottom but when I racked from the kettle I think I sucked a lot of unwanted trub into the fermenter. Anyways IF I have to repitch do you guys aerate again or just throw the yeast in?? I have an extra packet of safale 05 do I need to worry about aeration again?

I'd say 61 is very low to pitch for ale yeast. My experience is that 70+ is good. Both Wyeast and White Labs liquid yeast recommend Low 70's for pitching. The 59-75 guideline is most likely for fermentation after pitching: pitch in the 70's then when fermentation is visible, move to cooler location if desired. I'd say that if its been more than a couple days and there is no visible fermentation at all, then warm your wort to 70ish and see what happens. At 3 or 4 days post boil-I would repitch with no bubblin' happening.

I pitched some US-05 the other day around those temps, and it took about 4 days to really start fermenting. Now it's going nicely.

I have pitched that cool before with no ill affects, but who knows on this batch?

Do you suggest aerating it again before I pitch?

Bytor1100 said:
I pitched some US-05 the other day around those temps, and it took about 4 days to really start fermenting. Now it's going nicely.

I think I am gonna give it about 1 to 1 1/2 days more but I am seeing nothing right now. No krausen or anything

Anyone got anything on aerating again before I repitch if I have to?

don't aerate again. The point of aeration is to replace the oxygen that was pushed out while boiling. You're not reboiling the wort, so no re-aerating is necessary. I'd just wait if I were you. It'll get going on its own. The lower temp won't hurt anything, it just slows things down.

The same thing has happened to me now.... I just started brewing after a 2 year layoff, and both batches (one on Saturday, one on Sunday) are showing no signs of fermentation. When I get home from work today, it will have been over 72 hours for the first batch, so I'll give it till then and take a gravity reading. If it's still high, I don't know what I'm going to do. This has never happened to me before and now it's happened twice! The only thing I have done differently is use Starsan in lieu of Iodophor, which is what I used to use. I highly doubt that has anything to do with it.

Well, I couldn't take it any longer... I checked the gravity of the beer now, and it's at 1.016! So it had been fermenting. I wonder why I never saw it. I checked the airlock and it's on tight with enough water in it. That's strange. Sneaky fermentation. It must have only fermented at night. Ha!

I just threw out a carboy cap a week ago because of a sneaky fermentation. It was a wheat and it had some foam in it, but nothing like I expected. Then I grabbed the cap and squeezed it tightly and the airlock started going crazy. I tried to heat the cap with a paint stripper, hoping it would reform and shrink a bit, but that didn't work out, so I pitched it. I know it's stupid to get all up in a huff over a tiny air leak, but i'm an anal kind of guy. Good to hear you now have BEER!!!

well last night there was a very tiny slight vision of some krausen forming, but if it took three days to do that I figure it would almost be another 2 or 3 to get fully going. So I just pitched another packet of yeast on it last night, about an hour later it was going and still going this morning.

shafferpilot said:
I just threw out a carboy cap a week ago because of a sneaky fermentation. It was a wheat and it had some foam in it, but nothing like I expected. Then I grabbed the cap and squeezed it tightly and the airlock started going crazy. I tried to heat the cap with a paint stripper, hoping it would reform and shrink a bit, but that didn't work out, so I pitched it. I know it's stupid to get all up in a huff over a tiny air leak, but i'm an anal kind of guy. Good to hear you now have BEER!!!

I just put a rubber band around it

-ander

Back