Repitch yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auto180sx

Reaction score
So a while back I purchased this imperial stout and this candi syrup. The problem I'm having is the OG was 1.085 and currently the FG is at 1.02 and I was looking for a higher alcohol content. Should I add more sugar or repitch some yeast? The kits Wyeast didn't bulk up like it should have, and I know I should have made a starter but you live and learn... What would you do?

Were you looking for a higher ABV because that's what the kit specified (by FG) or because you want more alcohol? Just bumping up the sugar to get more alcohol can throw the balance of the beer and lead to a dry, overly-alcoholic taste.

I'd live and learn, make a starter next time, and maybe research other yeast strains that might attenuate more if you want a big gravity spread.

1.020 isn't bad at all for an imperial stout. There are a lot of large chain sugars in an imperial stout that yeast can't consume, and those are the sugars that give the beer it's mouthfeel and flavor. I wouldn't mess with it either.

a 1.020 Imperial stout sound about right to me. It should be warm, rich, and malty with a balance of malt sweetness and roast. I wouldn't mess with it- it's at 8.5% ABV- a nice "warm" sipping beer without being too hot.

Back