Renewed Fruit Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FungusBrew

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This is my first time working with fruit in the secondary. I added 2lbs of raspberries to 3 gallons of beer about 20 days ago, fermentation started back up, and the airlock is still bubbling at least once a minute.

When should I be looking for it to stop? Seems like this renewed fermention is taking an awfully long time?

thanks

If you put in raw fruit that was whole, the yeast wont just zap all the sugars instantly. It will take them some time to get into each bit and eat the sugars that are there.

It stops when it stops and not a second before. Seriously, there's no tried and true way to tell when it'll stop.

That said, you can't depend on the bubbles in the airlock. Take a gravity reading once for three consecutive days. If the gravity is the same all three days then primary fermentation is over regardless of what the airlock says. You would still want it to sit and go through the secondary fermentation phase, though.

With fruit beers I usually go one week in the primary with no fruit, then one week in the secondary with fruit. Seems to good for me so far. I primarily make wheat beers though so I guess if you doing another style the time may differ.

Back