Renewed airlock activity after hydrometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkfish

Reaction score
Hey guys...

First off, this place rules...I referred so many times to this place during my first batch that searches found answers to every one of my many first timer questions.....so thanks!

So my question...with my current (second) batch I noticed that airlock activity stopped on day four after pitching. Temps were at 68* for the duration after pitching. So I took a hydrometer reading (via wine thief) tonight and after doing so and reattaching the carboy cap and airlock I immediately saw airlock bubbles every 5 seconds or so.

Any thoughts on what is going on here? The carboy cap and airlock were secure before I took the reading - so the renewed vigorous activity kind of surprised me.

Thanks in advance!
MF

You changed the pressure in the vessel and the wort is off gassing excess co2.
Sometimes this will happen with just weather changes.

No problem here.

Airlock activity isn't a sign of fermentation activity nor a lack thereof. All kinds of things make them bubble. Changes in temp, barometric pressure, planets colliding, etc... The only thing they are good for when you look at them is entertainment!

So I took a hydrometer reading (via wine thief) tonight and after doing so and reattaching the carboy cap and airlock I immediately saw airlock bubbles every 5 seconds or so.

Interesting timing..... my second batch of beer has been in the primary for 13 days now and I haven't seen any activity in the airlock for at least the last 7 days. This morning I took a hydrometer reading. Sanitized the lid and airlock and when I put them back on.... BOOM... airlock activity. Nothing major just a few bubbles every 30-40 seconds.... been like that all day.

I'm guessing when I put the baster in the first time I pushed a little air into the beer and probably stirred up some of the yeasties?????

So I took a hydrometer reading (via wine thief) tonight and after doing so and reattaching the carboy cap and airlock I immediately saw airlock bubbles every 5 seconds or so.

What was your OG? What was the gravity reading you just took? What kind of brew is it? What yeast are you using?

Answers to those questions will help. But my guess is that you disrupted the brew and CO2 is now coming out of solution.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I wasn't overly concerned, but interested in the reason behind the new activity - the above makes sense. Much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back