Removing Paint from Bottles using Hydrochloric Acid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tayarimoto

Reaction score
I read through all of the posts on how to use StarSan to remove paint from bottles. Though it seemed like it works fine, I don't have StarSan, and I figured something else would work just as well. Another hobby of mine, besides home brewing, is making electronic devices, so I will sometimes etch copper circuit boards at home using a solution of Hydrochloric Acid and Hydrogen Peroxide. I figured I might as well try it and see what happens. It worked great! ...so here is how to do it.

**Disclaimer**
Hydrochloric Acid and Hydrogen Peroxide can be dangerous. Chlorine gas, which is toxic, may be released when mixing Hydrochloric Acid and Hydrogen Peroxide. Use at your own risk. Be smart, use protective equipment such as, but not limited to: rubber gloves, goggles, exhaust fan, gas mask. I am not responsible for death or injury, or anything else that occurs as a result of you using the information presented in this post.
**/Disclaimer**

Now that that's out of the way, here we go:

-DO THIS OUTSIDE, preferably on cement or concrete

-Use only glass or Polyethylene containers (Soda bottles work fine, just keep out of reach of people who don't know what it was used for or what it is...think of the kids)

1. Make a solution using 2 parts Hydrochloric (Muriatic) Acid to 1 part Hydrogen Peroxide. (Doesn't have to be exact to still work)
  2. Fill bottles to be stripped of paint with water.
  3. Place bottle in container to be used with acid.
  4. Pour the acid solution in the container containing the bottle to a level slightly higher than the paint.
  5. Wait 10 minutes and check the bottle. (The paint is ready to be wiped off if it starts to run when you pull the bottle out of the container)
  6. You may need to wait more or less time. Wipe the paint off the bottle.
  7. Rinse bottle with water.
  8. Repeat.

Like I said in the disclaimer, wear protective equipment. Do not inhale any fumes coming from the solution, as it's Cl2-Chlorine Gas.

Please dispose of the chemicals properly.

Now if you're reading this and thinking, "this dude is crazy, that's so dangerous," RDWHAHB. I'm not going to say it can't be dangerous, because it can, depending on the concentrations of the ingredients and the release of Chlorine gas. Just be careful and respect the chemistry, which in case you're wondering is as follows:
Hydrogen Peroxide: H2O2
Hydrochloric Acid : HCl
Hypochlorous Acid: HClO
Chlorine Gas: Cl2

H2O2 + HCl ----> H2O + HClO
HClO + HCl ----> H2O +Cl2

As you can see, everything eventually breaks down to Chlorine gas and Water. If you would like, and what I did to reduce the chance of trace amounts of chemicals is to soak, or boil, the bottles in water for an extended period of time, or continuously run water over the bottles to dilute any solution still on the bottle.

Now for the fun part:
cimg2445.jpg

cimg2446x.jpg

cimg2447w.jpg

cimg2448.jpg

cimg2450b.jpg

cimg2450b.jpg

cimg2453a.jpg

:mug:

As an added bonus, if you've got a stock pile of all of these chemicals around... along with your beakers, burners, siphon tubes, carboys, and a little cold medicine in your cupboards and your neighbors will be absolutely positive that they live next door to a meth lab.

Kidding aside, this is pretty cool... though I think I'll just stick to buying my bottles paintless...

As an added bonus, if you've got a stock pile of all of these chemicals around... along with your beakers, burners, siphon tubes, carboys, and a little cold medicine in your cupboards and your neighbors will be absolutely positive that they live next door to a meth lab.

Kidding aside, this is pretty cool... though I think I'll just stick to buying my bottles paintless...

I'm okay with this. :p Keeps the nosy neighbors from getting in my business if they think I'm a dangerous criminal.

I already had the chemicals laying around from my circuit board etchant, which is exactly the same as what I used for the bottles, so it was more of a "let's see how I can make this work" type of thing.

**I guess I should also say that this acid can dissolve copper, so keep it away from copper pipes.

You know, you can buy paint stripper. I tried using paint stripper to remove silkscreened Coke labels and it instantly melted it off.

I would recommend NOT packaging your beer in Corona bottles. You are just asking for a skunky beer.
That's why I save the cardboard box. I like the Coronitas because many of my friends don't especially like what I call good beer. I'm in college; people here drink Miller Lite or worse. Still, people want to try it, so instead of wasting 12oz. if they don't like it, I'm only wasting 7oz.

You know, you can buy paint stripper. I tried using paint stripper to remove silkscreened Coke labels and it instantly melted it off.
I looked for some at my house and couldn't find any. I'm impatient and cheap. :)

its the pesky red stripe bottle printing I would like to see this stuff take off
I've only ever had one Red Stripe and it wasn't at the type of place where I could just take the bottle. If I come across a bottle, I'll definitely try it.

Also, Fid, you seem to know a lot about the materials needed to make meth. Is there something you want to share with us, or have you just been watching too much Breaking Bad? :D

Breaking Bad. I like my teeth too much to be a meth head.

Also, I didn't realize these were 7oz bottles. Never seen 7oz packaging before, I kinda like that... although as far as I'm concerned even a 1oz serving of Corona is about an ounce too much.

Back