Removing labels with Oxiclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
After cleaning some stuff yesterday, I had a five gallon pot of cold Oxiclean left. I figured it was probably spent but figured "What the heck, let's see if it's good for anything". Had a couple dozen store bought beer bottles - with labels fully intact - and submerged them. Today, approximately 15 hours later, and with zero scrubbing, several of the labels had slid completely off; the others peeled off easily. With a few minor exceptions, no residue at all -- none. The few exceptions will likely be residue free in a little bit.

This seems great. But what about the glue? It went somewhere. Any issues with it getting inside the bottles? Or will a good rinse take care of that? The bottles are still soaking.

After cleaning some stuff yesterday, I had a five gallon pot of cold Oxiclean left. I figured it was probably spent but figured "What the heck, let's see if it's good for anything". Had a couple dozen store bought beer bottles - with labels fully intact - and submerged them. Today, approximately 15 hours later, and with zero scrubbing, several of the labels had slid completely off; the others peeled off easily. With a few minor exceptions, no residue at all -- none. The few exceptions will likely be residue free in a little bit.

This seems great. But what about the glue? It went somewhere. Any issues with it getting inside the bottles? Or will a good rinse take care of that?

Oxiclean is pretty much the standard for cleaning and de-labling bottles. As long as you rinse and drain them you should have no issues with residue inside. I always wipe the outside with a soapy rag to ensure all the residue from he labels is gone. There are a few out there that still don't come off this way.

Yep, I do an Oxiclean soak x 12+ hrs, followed by a drywall knife scrape and bristle brush scrub (only if necessary). After that it's a warm water rinse 2-3 times per bottle to get the slick soapiness out. Super clean bottles, zero infections.

I have had zero problems with glue residue. I rinse twice (fill and shake). No issues.

I soak, sometimes for only a couple hours. For the residue on the outside, I use a plastic pot scrubber. They're kind of meshy. O'Cedar makes them for non-stick pans.

Latest posts

Back