removing grain stuck in plate chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herman2011

Reaction score
I have a DudaDiesel plate chiller and unfortunately I accidentally got some grains going through it on my last brew. I've been pumping water through it and about 10 grains come out and then I reverse the flow and then another 10 grains come out and repeat back and forth and the grains just keep coming out little by little. What is the best way to deal with this? Bake it? Run something else through it? If I bake it, will the little sticker indicating wort in/out water in/out just melt off, etc.?

Livin' a dream... 10 grains at a time...

I always run Sodium Hydroxide through my chiller. You can get it at Home Depot as a drain cleaner. Melts everything out of there.

Thanks. Never worked with caustic before. Do you just pump it through and let it sit in there for a while? How much do you dilute it?

I've been mixing it a tablespoon or so per gallon. I recirculate it both ways with my march pump.

IMHO, I pressure can my plate chiller for around 2-3 hours, what ever is in there is going to get broken down.

Back