Removing burner paint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueGoose85

Reaction score
My burner is relentless with burning off its paint, coating my kettle. This of course leads to a painful clean up because the paint that is now on my kettle gets everywhere in my house and also, it's dirtying up my kettle!

I've done 6 batches on it, and still is burning it off. Does it ever stop?!

What tricks have you guys used in an effort to remove the paint directly from the burner?

I just cranked the burner up during the boils and let it go. Are you using the burner in your house? Or cleaning it inside? You could try using a paint stripper but if you're 6 batches in you can't possibly have much more paint to burn off. I'd sit back and have a homebrew.

It's not the paint you are seeing on your pot, it's carbon. Your burner needs tuned as it is not getting enough air.

Yea that what I've been doing, burning outside, cleaning inside. I would also think after a couple batches it would have stopped, but no. There's no amount of homebrew that can dilute the frustration of seeing and cleaning black paint everywhere in your kitchen and bathroom tub.

Oh well, perhaps I continue burning. I may just strip the paint though, thanks.

RM-MN said:
It's not the paint you are seeing on your pot, it's carbon. Your burner needs tuned as it is not getting enough air.

Oh really? This is interesting, could you explain that a bit more, and any solution?

There is an air baffle on the burner head where the gas line connects. Adjust the opening so that there is as little orange in the flame as possible. Assuming propane you are looking for mostly blue.

Wow, thank you. My propane burner (standard banjo style), is nearly pure orange flame, every time. I had no idea. I'll take a look at it tonight.

Thanks again, with a little more research I found out that the flame I currently have is definitely not right (wild big loose orange flame) compared to a tight blue flame. I'll adjust my baffle. Thanks!!

Back