Removing blow off tube / checking gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkagitNScandi

Drinking and Swinging Flies
Reaction score
I’ve got a weird one for you guys. This is the first time I’ve encountered this predicament and am seeking advice and shared knowledge from others failures.

I have a schwarzbier that has been fermenting in carboy for 7 days. Blow off activity has been slow the last 3 or 4.

I need to move my carboy from one room to another. I was going to replace the blow off tube with an S-shape airlock with everclear. I was planning on taking a gravity reading but have never checked gravity in the first ten days and am not positive primary ferm has finished

Everything should be fine to do right?

Should I not check the gravity and just replace the airlock?

Either way she’s getting moved and switching from tube to lock

I'm not sure what your predicament is.
I routinely replace blowoff with airlock after explosive fermentation is finished.

Do you check your gravity when you do this?

Do you think it’s not worth it? Too soon? I’m tempted to check gravity just to taste it lol

If you want to check the gravity out of curiosity, go for it. If it was a healthy fermentation it's likely hit its final gravity by now.
But there's no functional need for such when switching from blow-off hose to s-lock.
Tbh I usually only bother to check post-fermentation gravity on the first brew of a new recipe...

Cheers!

Good to know. Gravity was never a concern of mine for my first few batches and they turned out great.

This was my first time using a smack pack (1968 London esb) and first time fermenting at 64 degrees.

I think I’m going to;
1 check gravity
2 switch to airlock
3 transport across my house
4 finish beer in carboy at a warmer temp maybe 70 ish or so for a week

Any advice?

Last edited:
Does it need that much warm-ish time?
Ah - just noted the yeast. Wouldn't London Ale make this an ersatz schwarzbier?
I have no idea what to do with this now...

Cheers! :D

Latest posts

Back