Remotely locate CO2 regular away from the tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dionbill

Reaction score
Gang,

Right now, like most of us, my co2 regulator is attached directly to my co2 tank. What I want to do is to attach a high pressure hose directly to the tank with the regulator on the other end so I can mount the regular up front in my kegerator while leaving the co2 bottle in the back behind all the kegs. I found one premised system but was over $200 online which is crazy. So I am looking for a solution to just add the hose with the proper fittings. Any ideas? Thanks and cheers!

Dion

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I can't answer your original question about running a hose straight from the CO2 tank to your primary regulator, but another option would be leaving your primary regulator where it is and then buy a secondary regulator to mount in the front of your kegerator. Run hose from primary reg to secondary reg and you can control pressure from the secondary (the only limit to the secondary being the pressure at the primary; for example, if primary is set to 20psi, then you obviously could not set the pressure at the secondary to 25psi).

Yeah, that's my fall back plan if I can't get a hose right from the tank to the primary regulator. That would seem like extra cost that I would like to avoid.

If you want to stick with your original plan, the easiest thing I can think of is just using a FNPT and MNPT barb like the ones below to connect your tank and regulator via tubing. Just get one with female threads to connect to the tank and one with male threads to connect to the regulator then run a length of tubing between them.
1-4-female-npt-x-5-16-brass-hose-barb-800x594.jpg

D98100_1000.jpg

If you want to stick with your original plan, the easiest thing I can think of is just using a FNPT and MNPT barb like the ones below to connect your tank and regulator via tubing. Just get one with female threads to connect to the tank and one with male threads to connect to the regulator then run a length of tubing between them.

That is some of the worse advice I've seen on this forum. DO NOT RUN HIGH PRESSURE GAS THROUGH STANDARD HOSE.
850psi is nothing to mess with.

That is some of the worse advice I've seen on this forum. DO NOT RUN HIGH PRESSURE GAS THROUGH STANDARD HOSE.
850psi is nothing to mess with.
Yeah please do not use tubing like you would use with your primary regulator, but I would assume you could buy some sort of braided tubing (or line, whatever you want to call it) that could withstand the pressures? At the end of the day, I still think you should just use a secondary, it will probably be the most cost effective as well.
Edit: Here is some high pressure (1000psi) vinyl tubing you could use, but it seems the shortest length available is 100' so it is pricey for some vinyl tubing.
http://www.freelin-wade.com/high-pressure-vinyl-tubing.html

Thanks guys. Yeah, maybe the easiest and safest way is to go is with a secondary regulator. I get so much excellent information from these forums. Cheers!

Dion

Yeah please do not use tubing like you would use with your primary regulator, but I would assume you could buy some sort of braided tubing (or line, whatever you want to call it) that could withstand the pressures? At the end of the day, I still think you should just use a secondary, it will probably be the most cost effective as well.
Edit: Here is some high pressure (1000psi) vinyl tubing you could use, but it seems the shortest length available is 100' so it is pricey for some vinyl tubing.
http://www.freelin-wade.com/high-pressure-vinyl-tubing.html

THIS ^^^^

you are going to want to use a braided high pressure hose for that. IT MUST BE 3x the MAX working pressure of co2, which is 1700 PSI. (bust disk pressure)

totally doable, TBO, look in paintball supplies. they have co2 lines of all kinds.

First off be damn sure you know what you're doing with things connected to the main valve on that CO2 tank. There is more than enough pressure in there to blow up air compressor lines like a balloon. Serious business. Leave the regulator hooked up or get the proper certified line. Period.

^^This is your only option.

And forget you ever saw every other post in this thread.

Not entirely true. Running a secondary regulator might do the trick. If all the OP needs is ease of access and connections in the front a low pressure line off the primary regulator to a normal manifold near the front would be perfect.

The follow up is to ask the OP directly:
Why do you want your regulator at the front exactly? Access to PSI settings, access to connections, shut off valves?

Kegoutlet has left and right hand thread depending on you regulator for $42.00.
http://www.kegoutlet.com/high-press...on-hose.html?gclid=CLu4g5GD5MACFcRAMgodQQEAUA

^^This is your only option.

And forget you ever saw every other post in this thread.

That's only 6' long, I doubt long enough for the OP's purpose.

I vote for a single or double regulator on the tank, with high and low pressure dials. Then a gas hose to your kegerator onto a secondary regulator, multibody if you need more than one serving pressure. 3/16" or 1/4" Bevlex 200 with 1/8" walls should do, or a braided one if it needs to be tougher.

If you have a dual regulator on your tank, you can run a 2nd hose for "utility" like kegging. That's what I'm going to do eventually. And keep a small 5# cylinder for portable purposes.

Yes, a second regulator may work, but a lot of regulators are very unstable at low supply pressures. The second regulator may act very erratically.

You got a good point there.
Are those multi-gang "secondary" regulators designed for low input pressure, or do they also require the tank's full supply pressure?

The two stage regs are stable (I use one).
It runs 30 psi from the tank through a hose to the secondary regs (three smaller regs on a manifold), stepped down to serving pressure to the kegs. I also use the pre-pressure to gas up my soda bottles to 30psi before going back in the fridge.

Back