Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember Merlin ? Had one when I was 9. That was 1979
download.jpg

I was noticing today, that my hand writing had progressed beyond pretty bad. I ask one of my coworkers, said he had noticed his was doing the same. I just don't write anything anymore. My signature especially on those sign on the screen things is closer to make your mark, not sign your name.

Dirt clod war!

+1

Parents built a house in the early 80's and we had three huge dirt and sand piles. We built all kinds of trenches and mini-forts and had epic dirt clod wars. Good times. Amazing someone didn't get killed when the ramparts collapsed.

I remember when I had to walk about 1/4 mile to the bus stop. I got behind a bus a few weeks ago and it stopped at almost every house on the street.

+1

I'm trying to figure out where the school bus is still taking kids during the week. I was kind of looking forward to getting to work quicker in the am since school was out. For some reason the bus is still picking kids up every damn morning even thou school has been out for almost a month.

"It was so hard when I was young that I had to walk 5 miles to school.
Barefoot.
In the snow.
Uphill.
Both ways."

BB gun fights in my neighborhood in Warren.....And we're not talking plastic/rubber airsoft stuff either. That didn't exist in the 70's....talking REAL BB's. And denim jackets were the only protection....

Ha...I remember my dad stopping my brother and me. "Where are you two going with those BB guns?"..."to shoot sparrows?"..."OK, why are you wearing your snowmobile suits and helmets in July?"..."to protect us from the sparrows?"

You mean they aren't still?
As long as we love our Mommas, they will always be.

Hubba hubba hubba, heeba heeba heen, yo' momma got a head like a pork 'n bean. Hubba hubba hubba, heeba heeba heen, yo' momma got a head like a washin machine ...

yo momma so fat she had to let out the shower curtain

yo momma so fat when she wears a blue outfit, people try to stuff mail into her

Remember when you went to the movies the only things on the screen other than the movie was cartoons & that "Let's go out to the lobby..." ad? Remember when you could go to a Saturday matinee for 50 cents?

I remember BBgun fights, we used to wear saftey glasses borrowed from out dads toolbox & had a rule that if you had a pumpgun, you couldn't pump it more than once.

We had dirt clod fights sometimes, but we also had walnut fights with black walnuts, with steel trashcan lids for shields. The outer husk would turn dark brown & get kinda mushy, and would stain anything it touched; like your hands & clothes; my Mom still hates black walnuts.

We used to fish with M80's & Cherrybombs, for some reason the fuses were waterproof; just light 'em & toss 'em in the pond.

I can remember gathering & eating poke weed as a kid. I remember when you could order up a plate of eggs & brains at the truckstop. I remember tobacco curing in the barn in the autumn.

Remember getting so excited when the county/state fair was being set up? We used to watch the trucks roll in & the carnies setting up the rides & game booths & we were so excited we could hardly stand it. We knew we'd soon be riding the tilt-o-whirl, tossing rings at bottles & trying to kiss that cute girl on the ferris wheel.

Remember saving up for something out of the Sears catalog? You'd save that 50 cents or $1 a week, you'd mow lawns & rake yards & pull weeds all spring & summer, so you could finally afford whatever it was by October? Then waiting for the mail every day till there was a box that came?

Remember the 1st meal you cooked for your family? I cooked baked macaroni & cheese with smoked sauages & a potatochip crust. Remember "Goober Grape"?
Regards, GF.

^^^ Indeed! My father died at age 58 and 3+ months. I worked out the number of days after his 58th birthday, and when I hit the very same day, I felt kind of weird that I had outlived my father [I'll be 67 in a few months]. My mother died at age 94 and 3+ months. If I get that far, it will be interesting!

glenn514:mug:

Remember if your Lab got a hold of the neighbor's Poodle the result was called a mutt instead of a "designer breed"? I saw a labradoodle the other day for 800 bucks!!!

Bell bottoms. Man, I couldn't wait to get mine. Big whales. With some nice swede earth shoes.

And I can't remember seeing an ordinary person, outside of golf, wearing plaid pants. They were a staple when I was a budding lad.

Polyester suits with big lapels, wide ties. Corduroy slacks. Guys wearing shirts unbuttoned down to their navels. Eyeglasses with lenses as big as drink coasters. Weren't the '70s great?

Back