Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG, this thread is full of great memories. A few classics I remember:

001006_01.jpg

220px-Coleco_Electronic_Quarterback.jpg

6612104_std.jpg

and of course:
images

OMG, this thread is full of great memories. A few classics I remember:

and of course:

I thought : "oh man, there's a bunch of old people here!... Oh..... wait..."
( ORHS class of '83. "Let's roll, Wildcats roll! "... But I don't think I took our fight song the way they intended.... cough cough...)

Remember when you swore you'd never be like your parents?
Remember the 1st time you caught yourself saying something to or about the "kids today" & suddenly realized you were becoming your dad/mom?
Remember the time when you realized the music was too loud?
Have you reached the point that it's not loud enough?
Does it ever bother you that so many of those running for elected office are so much younger than you now?

- I remember when they attached carbon paper with my parents bills.. I would then take said carbon paper as a Kid and forge their signatures on various school forms..
- Parachute Pants
- Atari Computers
- Getting our first microwave oven
- BetaMax
- Celebrating holidays in schools without everybody getting offended.

- I remember when they attached carbon paper with my parents bills.. I would then take said carbon paper as a Kid and forge their signatures on various school forms..
- Parachute Pants
- Atari Computers
- Getting our first microwave oven
- BetaMax
- Celebrating holidays in schools without everybody getting offended.
I think most of the younger generation(s) would have no idea what carbon paper is... Much less the joy of sniffing a freshly mimeographed test/quiz in school.

Bottle rocket wars with the neighborhood kids, and our parents didn't even care that we were putting bottle rockets in the end of whiffle ball bats and pointing them directly at each other..
The good old days lol

We used to shoot Roman candles at each other from across the street. You know, I don't think anybody on our street ever got hurt from this activity, I mean it's pretty tough to miss a bright ball of fire coming at you at night, especially when you konw it's coming. I think more kids got hurt from throwing, or rather failing to dodge/block a walnut or dirt clod.

I was in a waiting room today & overheard a little girl talking to her father or grandfather. She said "OK, let's go ride the elevator now." Made think waaaay back. Remember when you were young enough to see things like elevators & escalators almost as carnival rides?
Regards, GF.

^^^ Not a really long time ago, but remember the Harley-Davidson 100th anniversary concert at County Stadium in Milwaukee? Sir Elton, himself. And many, many, many H-D riders walked OUT of the stadium!

glenn514:mug:

I remember once thinking You know you are getting old when Time-Life is selling music that you remember. Little did I know how early in my life that would come. Does Time Life still sell music???

Remember these

630px-Encyclopaedia_Britannica_15_with_2002.jpg

Had a set of World Books as a kid. It was my go-to for information decades before the Internet and Wikipedia.

Wife and I collected green stamps from the grocery, then traded them in each month for more of the World Book set. Eventually, we had the entire set, including the dictionary, medical dictionary, and thesaurus. Seems so silly now.

I remember sitting in the kitchen with encyclopedia salesman (Britannica). Pressure cooker. They would throw in the globe if you signed before they walked out the door. Makes me laugh now (we almost did it... ouch).

I'm probably the last generation to know what those are. The internets really got going when I was in high school. I do miss not being bombarded with ads and other useless stuff looking for info

Remember when you could buy rabbit meat in the grocery store? Remember when you got drinking glasses in a box of Duz soap? Remember S&H Greenstamps? Remember when bathtubs had feet & were deep enough so your whole body (except your head) could be underwater at the same time?
Regards, GF.

I remember sitting in the kitchen with encyclopedia salesman (Britannica). Pressure cooker. They would throw in the globe if you signed before they walked out the door. Makes me laugh now (we almost did it... ouch).

Filter Queen vacuum cleaners ... sold door-to-door by real, live, plaid-jacketed, hayseeds-in-the-hair, receded-chinned vacuum cleaner salesmen.

I was profoundly unhappy when I found out that my mom had been talked into buying one of these $1300 (!!!!!!) vacuums (and this was in the early 1980's!). Mad as a cloud of wet hornets is more like it.

I can not possibly figure out what compels people to buy a Filter Queen. For $1300, wtf ... they aren't a wet-vac, they are not self-propelled, they don't play music, make cappucino, press your trousers or have "marital aid" attachments ... you can't order one in your choice of colors or with options like an automobile would. They tip over constantly and the latch that holds the dust collection compartment closed comes open constantly, the vacuum hose is too short and the unit is underpowered.
It is now mine ... and at some point, it ... and I, are going out to the woodshed to have a little talk ... or possibly the shooting range.

... Remember when you got drinking glasses in a box of Duz soap? ...

Or towels that came in boxes of laundry detergent. Colorful towels with flowers that would then become the "guest" towels that you could not use yourself to wipe your hands on, on pain of death.

Somehow always reminds me of "the stories" ... The Guiding Light, Days of Our Lives etc ... probably because those same laundry detergents were their commercial sponsors/advertisers.

When you bought a car and got one key for the trunk and one for the ignition

How about when there was no such thing as a "Valet Key" (like my Infiniti has) that manages, when the regular key gets lost, to become the one on your keyring. Won't open the trunk, won't open the glovebox.
Valets don't touch my car ... give me an additional proper key, or at least deduct the cost of that silly "valet" key from the vehicle cost. Worthless.

When you could draw the picture of a gun in school and not get expelled?

Oh man that's an ugly subject. Can't go there. Broken numerous soap-boxes when up on them waving my arms around and yowling about such blistering stupidity.
This is where my Better Half puts the "O" in SWMBO. I am on a short leash when that and other "zero tolerance" subjects come up in public ... more than a few measured sentences from me and she's gone to fetch the large cast-iron Griswold.
I don't understand how the people of a school district don't demand the head of moron administrators responsible for such policies ... insulting to people's intelligence and *horribly* destructive to the children who are merely working through, in an "age appropriate" way, concepts of aggression and similar human behavior ... I digress ...
< "step down from the soapbox and back away slowly, keep your hands where we can see 'em" >

Back