Remember those cool White Labs yeast plastic vials?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hennesse

Reaction score
And then they changed to the stupid little envelopes...

Tonight, I got started on a Tap Handle kick. I was browsing through some homebrew sites, and noticed that they're selling fancy tap handles for like $40 each. Let's see, I have 4 plain black tap handles on my kegerator fridge. Wait - let me do the math - that's $160 to upgrade them to cool. I like cool, but not that much...

So I started thinking about what might make a cool tap handle, and then the idea of using the White Labs vials popped into my demented little head. I had saved a bunch of them, as they were too good to just throw away. But I never did find a good use for them either, so eventually I tossed them all in one of my spring cleaning fits.

I only had one left. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the cap and mounted the cap on one of my taps with a washer and a 3/8-16 nut. I filled the tube with nuts and bolts and screwed it on the tap. Looks pretty cool.

If you have any of the old White Labs vials hanging around - turn them into tap handles. Get creative, go to the crafts store, and see if you can find little colored balls, or some colored sand, or some little dice, or something attractive to fill the vial with. Cool tap handles - almost free!

What else can I find in the garage that I make make into a tap handle?

How about a spark plug? I ground off the side electrode with my bench grinder, busted up the ceramic insulator, and drilled down the center electrode (difficult!). Drilled the center to 5/16", and then threaded it with a 3/8-16 tap. Now I have another cool tap handle - free!

Show us your taps! Especially those homemade less than a dollar kind. You're not cool unless you share it...

Dave

Attachments

• taps2.jpg
    taps2.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 324
I did some a while back, with different grains and hops in them. That was before I switched to baseballs I drilled and made in to tap handles. 4 taps on the keezer, each baseball I got from a different league.

Attachments

• 690F1EEA-84F0-4C1D-B2CE-060982C1E3F0.jpeg
    690F1EEA-84F0-4C1D-B2CE-060982C1E3F0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 296
  • 7F60A4CC-EAEC-4A10-B593-77C351958142.jpeg
    7F60A4CC-EAEC-4A10-B593-77C351958142.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 246
My father in law made cutting boards last year. The making of the boards involves gluing different types of wood together and cutting them into strips and then gluing them together to make a pattern. He had lots of left over strips so my daughter and I glued the left over pieces together to make these tap handles. The wood was too hard to screw in the threads so I just drilled a hole and glued the thread in the bottom.

FBB4D2E9-C4B9-497B-879C-3BBFD697E532.jpeg

i prefer the new white lab package..the old tubes looked cool but opening them was like opening a bottle of seltzer.

They don't use the plastic vials anymore!

It has been a long time since I last bought any yeast. I have about 20 yeasts that I keep rotating through. Must be at least a couple of years since I last bought some.

They don't use the plastic vials anymore!

It has been a long time since I last bought any yeast. I have about 20 yeasts that I keep rotating through. Must be at least a couple of years since I last bought some.

My LHBS does stock a few types of WL yeast that still comes in vials. But if one is looking for inexpensive vials this place might be worth a look, though right now the translucent ones are not available. https://www.sciplus.com/p/514-WHITE-PET-TUBES-WITH-SCREW-CAPSCASE-100_58803

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back