Aleppo Pepper Chicken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
This recipe comes from Lisa's "Panning the Globe" blog, and full credit goes to her.

The timing of my discovery of this recipe was most fortuitous. I had recently ordered some Aleppo pepper, based on Brook's enthusiastic accounts of it; when it arrived, I sampled a bit of it, and was immediately impressed. Even better, The Beautiful Mrs. Tas found that this pepper is "mild" enough for her to enjoy in moderation, as well.

With this serendipitous development, I eagerly looked for a few opportunities that would allow me to explore this pepper; it wasn't more than a couple of days later when Lisa's blog post appeared in my inbox, highlighting Turkish cuisine. I saw this recipe, and knew that it would only be a matter of time before we tired it.

Sure enough, we made this for supper last night, and enjoyed it very much! The yogurt does an amazing job of keeping the chicken moist and tender. The combination of the Aleppo pepper and the lemons is simply outstanding, resulting in a tangy, lively sauce.

I highly recommend this recipe, especially for those who want to try something a little different. We broiled ours in the oven, but I would very much suggest, especially this time of year, preparing this on the grill over charcoal, wood or even gas. Something about the flavor profile just begs for the smoky infusion that only fire can provide....

Without further ado, here it is:

Aleppo Pepper Chicken

Prep time
10 mins

Cook time
12 mins

Total time
22 mins

Serves: 6-8

Ingredients

3 tablespoons Aleppo pepper (crushed or flakes)*
2 cups plain whole-milk Greek-style yogurt (16 ounces)
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
4 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
10-12 garlic cloves, flattened and skins removed
2 unpeeled lemons, sliced into thin rounds.
4 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs

*If you have no access to Aleppo pepper, you can use Maras Pepper, or substitute 4 teaspoons dried crushed red pepper plus 4 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika.

1. In a large bowl combine the 3 tablespoons Aleppo pepper with 2 tablespoons warm water. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes for the water to be absorbed. (if using red pepper flakes and paprika, combine 4 teaspoons of each in the bowl with 4 tablespoons warm water)

2. Add the next six ingredients to the bowl: Yogurt, oil, vinegar, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Stir thoroughly to combine.

3. Next mix in the garlic and lemon slices. Add the chicken and stir to fully combine all ingredients.

4. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour (and up to a day)

5. Preheat the barbecue to medium-high heat. Rub oil over the grates. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Grill the chicken about 6 minutes per side, or until cooked through.

6. Serve with grilled lemons and garlic. Enjoy!

http://www.panningtheglobe.com/2012/09/26/aleppo-pepper-chicken/

If you try this, let me know what you think - and please do visit Lisa's blog, in order to post some feedback there, as well.

Enjoy!

Ron

Thanks for the recipe. Looks good. I've been using Aleppo now for a few years. I buy it by the half pound and keep it by the stove to use on almost anything from roasted veggies, potato salad and scrambled eggs. I order it from "The Spice House". Oh! and pizza! Great on pizza!

Back