Reliance 5500 Water Heater Element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
most water heater elements are threaded in 1" NPS

NPS = NPT without the taper (s=strait, t=taper)

so you can either just drill a ~ 1-1/8" hole and use some sort of locknut on the inside, or install a 1" half coupling into the keg to thread the element into. i suggest the half coupling if you can, it makes life easier.

You'd have to buy a stainless steel lock nut to attach it to the pot/keg. The gasket that the element comes with goes on the outside of the pot and as long as your hole is just the right size and no more there will be no leaking.

/B

Received various parts from McMaster Carr today.

I had been confused by the sizing charts they refer you to in order to figure if the element will thread into the stainless half coupling. I just rolled the dice and ordered the one inch 304 stainless half coupling Part Number 4464K475 and its works great with the element I purchased.
If you dont have a way to weld the coupling, the 1" lock nut Part #4464K586 threads onto the element. I ordered Orings Part# 9396K294. I would recommend a slightly thinner oring. These leave little room to thread the nut on to the element.

I bought a 'lot of 18' various new water heater elements on ebay for $35.00. Got them home yesterday and haven't gone through them yet. I'm gonna make something...lord knows what...what I'm gonna make something.

Back