Rehydration ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumpwater

Reaction score
Getting ready to brew an American pale ale and will be using a dry yeast (safale US-05) What if i boil a cup of water and a tbs. of the dme i will be using in my brew, cool it down then add my yeast about an hour before i start my brew? Will this work as a quick starter? I don't see how it could hurt, maybe give the yeastes a taste of whats for supper and make em' hungry.

You could do it, but it won't work as a starter and you really don't need a starter for that yeast anyway.

You want to rehydrate the yeast in plain water first. The whole idea of rehydrating is that the yeast, in their dried state, are somewhat fragile and adding them right to wort can kill many of the cells off. You want them to rehydrate first, then be presented with food.

The whole point of a starter is to multiply the yeast, not to "make them hungry". You have plenty of yeast in the packet. If you need more, it's cheaper to buy another packet of dry yeast rather than make a starter.

What Chshrecat says.
The procedure for rehydrating yeast is as follows. Do this while you are boiling your wort. Boil 1 cup of water and let cool. Pour into a sanitzed jar and add yeast. Stir and cover with sanitized saran wrap. Let sit at least 15 minutes then add to your cooled wort

Latest posts

Back