Regulator Issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

putorious

Reaction score
Hi,
Finally after 4 years of home brewing, I'm getting in to kegging... A recent acquisition a 1/6 Keg of Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout (Funny Story) "forced me" (real arm twister, I know!) into buying a kegerator, which also happened to come with a 5 Gallon Corny with ball locks too.

Anyhow, I have the system all set up, I bought the Sanke tap handle thing, and then I put 2 ball lock posts on it it so that I could just plug in the ball lock ends into it that were already setup in the kegerator beer and gas lines.

Everything seems setup just fine, and no obvious leaks, and I've been pouring fine from the keg for about a week now. I have the gas in to the keg set to 12 lbs. out of the regulator. The beer line is about 7 feet long.

Carbonation in the beer seems just fine, and it pours without being foamy or anything. The problem I'm having, is that when I pour, it has a great flow for the first second or 2 at most, and then it pours really slow after that, like the regulator cannot supply the volume needed to keep the pressure up, to keep things pushing out at full flow. I can hear a "fluttering noise" coming from the regulator as well. Anyone seen this before? Do I have a bad regulator? It's a TapRight brand regulator. They seem pretty common and reliable. Once I stop pouring, and let the pressure build back up, the process repeats itself.

I've made sure the valve in the gas bottle is all the way open, and there are no kinks in the line between the regulator and gas input at the keg. Any thoughts? I wouldn't think it's a beer line length issue since it pours initially and then drops off.

I would suspect something amiss at the beer out connection, and the fluttering regulator is a symptom, rather than the cause.
Perhaps the disconnect isn't playing well with the post and one of them is barely opening...

Cheers!

I agree with day tripper. As long as your beer is carbed, you should be able to unhook or shut off the gas and still pour a few pints.

I agree with both of the above and also suggest isnpecting the check ball inside the sanke tap to make sure its not partially sticking.

So I've removed the ball lock from my sanke tap, and now it's just a direct connection with a threaded collar, and the problem still exists. The Sanke tap is also brand new, and the check ball was rattling around just fine when I took a look. Any other thoughts?

You could have something stuck in the beer poppet spring, or the Beer QD is bad and it not seated properly

This has happened to me, brand new QD that didn’t work right

Back