Regulator Dropping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnewb1

Reaction score
Hey all. So I finally made the move to kegging and got my beer in the keg tonight. I brought the beer down to about 42°F this morning, moved it to the keg, connected my co2, purged a few times, and then brought it back up to pressure. I keep setting it at 30psi to burst carbonate, but it keeps going down. I checked for leaks and don't seem to have any.

Could the pressure be dropping because I just put the regulator in the fridge for the first time? I assume temperature would have something to do with that, no?

Appreciate any insight!

Yes, judging from the number of times that's been related here it's a thing.
Eventually things stabilize but it could take a few tweaks along the way...

Cheers!

Yes, judging from the number of times that's been related here it's a thing.
Eventually things stabilize but it could take a few tweaks along the way...

Cheers!

Appreciate the feedback. Looks like I now have a leaky pressure release valve, so going to have to figure out how to fix that.

You may or may not have a leak. But pressure is 100% affected by temperature. If your keg and CO2 are both chilled you will get a pressure drop.

You may or may not have a leak. But pressure is 100% affected by temperature. If your keg and CO2 are both chilled you will get a pressure drop.

The regulator ended up stabilizing, but I realized I was hearing a slight hissing sound. Put some soapy water on the pressure release valve and there it was.

The regulator ended up stabilizing, but I realized I was hearing a slight hissing sound. Put some soapy water on the pressure release valve and there it was.

I had the same issue with one of my kegs. I believe that the weld was poor and I had the lid replaced by the vendor. I kept the original lid and might try to repair with some jb weld.

Can you tell where the leak is on the PRV? If it is where the valve seats, maybe a new PRV or some keg lube will fix you up. If it is on the bottom, it may be that the weld is no good.

Back