Reggae, rocksteady, and ska fans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see some country influence, but that's definitely not country. Hah. Got kind of a Lovers Rock vibe to it. A little too new school for my taste, but definitely prefer it to dancehall :mug:

yeah, kinda lovers rock but they are all very classic country songs. dancehall just sounds nice pounding outta the back of my SUV lol. heavy bass and dual 12inch subs work really nicely together lol.

I've actually been listening to a little bit of "chutney" lately. If you've never heard of it, its from Trinidad and is mainly made by the "coolies" (indians). also has a very nice sound in my ear.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGMpr-quR7Q[/ame]

No love for Matisyahu yet??? Puts on a great live show..

[ame]http://youtu.be/ChV5BZ8SmS0[/ame]

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I guess most people equate 3rd wave with a sound rather than a period of time. There's still good stuff coming out today, but like billy-klubb said, you gotta search for them.

I like this one:

[ame]http://youtu.be/nbjPaDzmgRg[/ame]

I also like the response, from Hepcat:

[ame]http://youtu.be/Ux8CNETWGoo[/ame]

that's just floccin' awesome. makes me kinda wish there were some good ol' hooligans in my town, but I'm kinda glad there ain't. I'd just end up arrested. hahahaha!!

:off:

Speaking of which, gotta wonder how much the latter crew smashed up the town last night after that Habs/Rangers game, given the reaction of some Montreal friends after the Habs closed out the Bruins simply stated "See you in the streets". And given that the Prowlers have a whole song dedicated to em. "Our religion is the Montreal Canadiens" and so forth.

As for me, it boils down to "If you support Arsenal, you're not my friend any more", but it's not like there's a roaming Tottenham Hotspur supporters club in DC (although there's some other supporters for sure). But yeah. Other than that, my days of fighting in the streets are pretty much over (and that was never sports related anyway). Although I've got my share of battle scars (as I know you do too) showing I ain't got s*** to prove to anyone.

:off:

Speaking of which, gotta wonder how much the latter crew smashed up the town last night after that Habs/Rangers game, given the reaction of some Montreal friends after the Habs closed out the Bruins simply stated "See you in the streets". And given that the Prowlers have a whole song dedicated to em. "Our religion is the Montreal Canadiens" and so forth.

As for me, it boils down to "If you support Arsenal, you're not my friend any more", but it's not like there's a roaming Tottenham Hotspur supporters club in DC (although there's some other supporters for sure). But yeah. Other than that, my days of fighting in the streets are pretty much over (and that was never sports related anyway). Although I've got my share of battle scars (as I know you do too) showing I ain't got s*** to prove to anyone.
that sums it up quite nicely! I've never been into the sports, so I really don't get the brawling over teams thing. but they've always been fun to drink with.:mug:

Scored me a couple new ones on vinyl today. "The Best of Jackie Opel" (not wild about his slower crooner stuff, but the ska is fantastic), Jackie Mittoo's "Evening Time", and The Special AKA's "Free Nelson Mandela". Gone through the first already, haven't gotten through the other two yet.

Hadn't heard this before. Another track off my recent vinyl score (the rest of it's Oi! stuff, so I'll spare posting it here). Digging this album hard. Heard a couple of tracks, but hadn't heard most of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice find! I gotta order me up some stuff. folks in our area think ska is what you get from a bad cut and that Bob Marley invented reggae. and that it's only for hippies and "the Negroes". for as culturally diverse our area is, it still seems like the population is stuck in 1922.

nice find! I gotta order me up some stuff. folks in our area think ska is what you get from a bad cut and that Bob Marley invented reggae. and that it's only for hippies and "the Negroes". for as culturally diverse our area is, it still seems like the population is stuck in 1922.

Yeah. I cleaned both places I went out of the good stuff. I was REALLY hoping to grab The Selecter's "Too Much Pressure". Had it in mp3 on the comp for a loooong time and love the album, but wanted the vinyl. But the place that had it apparently had one copy, sold it a few days before I made it in.

Guess I'm lucky to live in one of the most diverse areas of the country.

I guess since this is a forum dedicated to beer, I should mention that while I was down there I spent the entirety of Wednesday afternoon/evening at Firestone Walker. Got a nice little tour of the brewey, got half corked in the tasting room, and then briefly met Adam Firestone whilst getting completely corked at the restaurant/taproom. Overall, not a bad day.

I was down at Boo Boo Records in San Luis yesterday and they had a fat stack of reggae and rocksteady vinyl. Expensive as hell, but I guess you gotta pay for the good stuff.

Picked up this one:

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/various-artists-studio-one-rocksteady-180-gram-vinyl-records.shtml

Also found a nice sealed copy of Buzz or Howl Under the Influence of Heat.

Nice. On both counts. I remember going to Amoeba Music in San Francisco (my grandparents lived in the bay area) and being impressed at the punk selection as a much younger kid. That was before I got into reggae though. I've found a number of decent spots over the years, but never anywhere else like that.

I've found a number of decent spots over the years, but never anywhere else like that.

And you most likely never will. All three Amoeba's are amazing. If you ever find yourself in or around LA, go to Amoeba in Hollywood. It's something like 40,000 square feet. Absolutely staggering.

And you most likely never will. All three Amoeba's are amazing. If you ever find yourself in or around LA, go to Amoeba in Hollywood. It's something like 40,000 square feet. Absolutely staggering.

It's where I got my original pressing of Conflict's "Increase The Pressure". Still one of my favorite punk records of all time. I don't recall of the SF spot was that big, but my god was it massive. I need to go back to that place eventually. I'm planning (at this point at least) to make it out to NHC next year if it still happens in San Diego, so I might have to make a trip to the LA one then.

Back