Refrigeration??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
Hey all :),

Just received my Nut Brown Ale kit from Northern Brewer and was wondering if I need to refridgerate anything else other then the yeast (hops, malt, crushed grains)???

I will be getting some DME so I can make a starter tomorrow (Sat) and hopefully be able to brew Sunday if the starter will be ready.

Can a started be made with LME instead of the DME?

Thanks again for all the great help and advice I have received here.

Refridgerating that stuff will do more good than bad, but it will be fine for a couple days.
You can make a starter out of either kind of malt extract. The thing you want to avoid is doing one with dextrose (corn sugar) as this gets the yeast used to eating that instead of maltose, like a good yeastie should.

So if I have a 64oz growler, 2 pints (32oz) & 2/3 cup of LME would work!? Also, when ready to pitch to my wort, can I just dump the whole thing in?

How did you come up with those amounts? For reference next time.

Thanks again for the help... I thought I was already to go, then more questions just come up. :)

Cregar said:
So if I have a 64oz growler, 2 pints (32oz) & 2/3 cup of LME would work!? Also, when ready to pitch to my wort, can I just dump the whole thing in?

Thanks again for the help... I thought I was already to go, then more questions just come up. :)

You got it, just dump it in there. There will always be more questions, I just hope there are more answers somewhere!

:mug:

Latest posts

Back