Refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea of using the refractometer to boil to gravity...take samples along the way during the boil, stop when you have the reading you want.

what a pain it would be to sample boiling wort with a hydrometer..I only take hydrometer readings at pitching time (and kegging time, when I remember !)..

I have always boiled to volume, and hoped that the gravity comes out the way ProMash says.. kind of a crap shoot, but still pretty close..

I guess I am more interested in hitting gravity acurately than volume, and glad to see Bobby_M sells a good refractometer.

Fwiw, refractometers are also used in the saltwater aquarium hobby. Had one years ago but sold it when I got rid of my tank. Heading to the local fish store to purchase another one tomorrow.

Most, if not all aquarium refractometers measure In specific gravity. (gravity of saltwater is 1.025, +- 0.005 depending on location in the ocean).

Most, if not all aquarium refractometers measure In specific gravity. (gravity of saltwater is 1.025, +- 0.005 depending on location in the ocean).
Just getting into the market for one of these and this got me all excited for a few seconds. Then I looked around, loving the cheap price range of them, but noticed that most only measure up to 1.07 on the gravity, and I'll be doing plenty of beers over that range:(

The one Bobby_M sells is a good priced model, that has both SG and Brix scales on it. It's designed for brewers, so the scale goes to a good point. I'm starting to look for one that goes into a higher scale though, for when I make something much bigger.

Fwiw, refractometers are also used in the saltwater aquarium hobby. Had one years ago but sold it when I got rid of my tank. Heading to the local fish store to purchase another one tomorrow.

I wouldn't do that. The one for the fish tank won't work for the wort. I have both (I have one for my saltwater tank, a lighted one!).

[edit] ugh, old thread.

Back