Refractometer range

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ESBrewer

Reaction score
I'm about to order the very basic Brix meter from a web store. Do you recommend a model with narrow range(0-18bx) or the one with wide range(0-32bx). I think 99.9% of my beers would fall inside the narrow range. But my question is, do you consider a meter with narrow range easier to read (or much more precise) or does it offer any other benefit over the wide range? The price is about the same, in fact the wide range might cost a few bucks less. Officially, the wide range model is said to measure to 0.2bx and the narrow range to 0.1bx, I don't know if it really makes much difference.

Last edited:
Yes, in fact I think sometime in the future I would like to try Belgian ales that would probably start higher than that. So maybe the wide range unless there is some clearcut benefit with the narrow one. But now it's mainly bitters and then some 5-6.5% Hefeweizen that probably fall inside narrow range.

I find it hard to see the exact spot on my narrow range one... So I wouldn't go for the wide range one.

If you brew stronger stuff once in a while, just use your hydrometer for those.

Back