Refractometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed that when I use my refractometer to check my pre-boil and post-boil gravity that if I put a sample of hot wort on the refractometer the reading will be lower at that moment than it will be 5-10 min later. I had assumed this was due to the wrote cooling to room temperature, but I started wondering if it was from the sample evaporating and concentrating on the device. Any experts out there who can clue me in?

L

Not an expert. More than likely your refractometer, unless it is very old is ATC, automatic temperature corrected. Which is a little misleading because it doesn't work at 212 however the small sample taken will cool down very quickly to the refractometer's calibrated range which is somewhere around 60-80 degrees.

I usually check the reading after about 30-40 seconds, sometimes a bit longer. Shouldn't take 5-10 minutes. You could try testing it with boiling tap water and see how long it takes to read 1.000, or whatever your tap water reads at ground water temps.

Latest posts

Back